Bullnose Forums

Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Cool!I don't think we'll have as much trouble on the hairpins given the shorter wheelbase, but it still might be fun. :nabble_smiley_good:
Here is a "remake" of Big Brother's exciting Shafer Canyon journey movie.

If Big Bro can do it, sure it is that Big Blue will with ease!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a "remake" of Big Brother's exciting Shafer Canyon journey movie.

If Big Bro can do it, sure it is that Big Blue will with ease!

Thanks, Jeff. Once Janey gets where she can watch that I'll show it to her. And I think if I say we are going to do that or something equally easy one of the days that will help when I show her some of the other videos. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Thanks, Jeff. Once Janey gets where she can watch that I'll show it to her. And I think if I say we are going to do that or something equally easy one of the days that will help when I show her some of the other videos. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And not that we need to lock anything down, but would it make sense to tentatively plan on:

• Sevenmile Rim on Monday

• Top of the World on Tuesday

• "something else" on Wednesday (we'll probably do Capitol Reef, you might do Canyonlands)

• Hell's Revenge or Fins 'N Things on Thursday

• "TBD" on Friday (could be another trail together, could be another day doing different things)

I'm thinking that giving a break between the two trail days that might most push comfort zones might be a good idea.

And as noted above, I'm not trying to lock anything down, just give a framework to hang plans on loosely. We'll obviously have to see how the previous trails days go before we start off on each new trail. And weather or anything else might suggest shifting things around (maybe "something else" needs to be Tuesday, maybe Thursday, maybe only two trail days, maybe four...).

And I'm not trying to push for a fourth trail day. I'm just keeping the option open if it's something you both want to do when the day comes.

And not that we need to lock anything down, but would it make sense to tentatively plan on:

• "something else" on Wednesday (we'll probably do Capitol Reef, you might do Canyonlands)

• "TBD" on Friday (could be another trail together, could be another day doing different things)

I'm thinking that giving a break between the two trail days that might most push comfort zones might be a good idea.

And as noted above, I'm not trying to lock anything down, just give a framework to hang plans on loosely. We'll obviously have to see how the previous trails days go before we start off on each new trail. And weather or anything else might suggest shifting things around (maybe "something else" needs to be Tuesday, maybe Thursday, maybe only two trail days, maybe four...).

And I'm not trying to push for a fourth trail day. I'm just keeping the option open if it's something you both want to do when the day comes.

What's nice in this place is that, anywhere you go, it's so huge and gorgeous!

An amazing country!

:nabble_anim_jump:

I think you have a reasonable plan. And if Janey and I are going to Arches we'll need to get a reservation so we'd need to nail down the day. But I'm leaning more to Canyonlands and a reservation isn't needed for that from what I've read.

We just watched the

with her and she is game. She just asked that I only do what I'm confident we can do and she will trust me. (And I'll trust you.)

So let's say we have a plan, and we can tweak it as we go along - if needed.

Shafer-Trail-Road.jpg.db223aa6545675d34802b83e427032e0.jpg

I think you have a reasonable plan. And if Janey and I are going to Arches we'll need to get a reservation so we'd need to nail down the day. But I'm leaning more to Canyonlands and a reservation isn't needed for that from what I've read.

We just watched the

with her and she is game. She just asked that I only do what I'm confident we can do and she will trust me. (And I'll trust you.)

So let's say we have a plan, and we can tweak it as we go along - if needed.

Thanks for the link Gary.

Just watched this Seven Mile Trail video, gorgeous!

And what about this Jeep aficionado couple, who by pure chance, just around the “rock” in the middle of nowhere, met guess who?

Jeep’s Design Big Boss!

:nabble_smiley_oh:

Thanks for the link Gary.

Just watched this Seven Mile Trail video, gorgeous!

And what about this Jeep aficionado couple, who by pure chance, just around the “rock” in the middle of nowhere, met guess who?

Jeep’s Design Big Boss!

:nabble_smiley_oh:

Brad is heavily into Jeeps and apparently was part of Easter Jeep Safari that year. The guy they met, the lead designer at Jeep, was there for that as well. So they were destined to run across each other, obviously again, but to do so in the middle of "no where" is cool. :nabble_smiley_good:

So, how does Seven Mile compare to Shafer & Potash?

.... So, how does Seven Mile compare to Shafer & Potash?

The guide book lists Sevenmile Rim about a third of the way down the "difficult" list (with the less difficult trails above it and the more difficult below it).

It lists Potash Road/Shafer Switchbacks about a third of the way down the "easy" list.

So that's one comparison. But again, don't get too worked up about that "difficult" designation. I would NOT suggest you do Sevenmile in Janey's Mercedes (if I'm remembering her car correctly), while Potash/Shafer wouldn't be out of the question for it at all. Potash/Shafer doesn't require much ground clearance anywhere (I'm pretty sure a Corvette could do Shafer Switchbacks) while Sevenmile has bigger ledges that require more ground clearance. But in a lifted F-250 with 33s and a locker/Truetrac it's not going to be bad. It will push your comfort zone at least a few times. And if you were there on your own you might not think you can do some things. But I believe that after you see how easy they are for Pluto you'll "put tires on them" and will see that they aren't nearly as hard as you first thought they'd be.

Potash is rough enough that in a non-lifted vehicle (and '80s - '90s F-250s and F-350s are basically lifted vehicle from the factory) you need to pick a line to avoid hitting rocks. But in Big Blue (or Big Brother), "picking a line" is much more about passenger comfort than protecting the vehicle. There's no need for lockers, and really no need for 4WD unless it's wet (but low range might be nice for passenger comfort).

On Sevenmile picking a line is mostly to find a way to get up the obstacle without having to use a lot of throttle to muscle your way up. 4WD will at least be very helpful (if not actually needed) much of the time, and while lockers aren't absolutely necessary they are likely to be appreciated a few times. So Sevenmile is a real 'wheeling trail while Potash is a minimum maintenance road.