Bullnose Forums

1986 F350 Crew Cab 4WD

I guess I am fortunate Ford didn't offer 4WD dual rear wheel trucks, Darth takes enough room to turn around. Not bad looking BTW.

Do you mean that Ford didn't offer them in the Bullnose era? I've seen 4WD dual rear wheel F350's before. Maybe not Bullnoses, but for sure in the 1987-1996 trucks. (And I'm talking cab/chassis trucks...I can't say for certain that I've ever seen one with a pickup bed on it).

I guess I am fortunate Ford didn't offer 4WD dual rear wheel trucks, Darth takes enough room to turn around. Not bad looking BTW.

Do you mean that Ford didn't offer them in the Bullnose era? I've seen 4WD dual rear wheel F350's before. Maybe not Bullnoses, but for sure in the 1987-1996 trucks. (And I'm talking cab/chassis trucks...I can't say for certain that I've ever seen one with a pickup bed on it).

The DRW trucks could be ordered cab and chassis as a 4WD, but the 1985 up bed will not fit due to the difference in the rear axle. Cab and chassis models still used the Dana rear axle, pickups got the Ford 10.25". On the Dana, the centerline of the duals is directly behind the center of the front wheels, on the Ford, the inner wheel is directly behind the front wheel. This gives a wider track for the rear, and allows for a standardized bed floor and inner panels for all 8' beds.

This followed through from 1985-1997 DRW trucks.

Ahh, OK, gotcha. I know nothing about anything heavier than a half ton, so this stuff is all new to me.

Just curious though...what changed in 1985? Were there no Bullnose duallies 1980-1984?

The DRW trucks could be ordered cab and chassis as a 4WD, but the 1985 up bed will not fit due to the difference in the rear axle. Cab and chassis models still used the Dana rear axle, pickups got the Ford 10.25". On the Dana, the centerline of the duals is directly behind the center of the front wheels, on the Ford, the inner wheel is directly behind the front wheel. This gives a wider track for the rear, and allows for a standardized bed floor and inner panels for all 8' beds.

Nice truck! I love the dog imitating a vulture as well. My dog (who is much bigger) loves jumping up on either the hood, roof or toolbox of my truck. He wants to be sure I never leave without out him!

Sully

I see an update to the Bullnose Facts coming..... :nabble_anim_working: It currently says:

The DRW axles for the pickups, but not the cab & chassis trucks, were made longer to put the inside tire in line with the front tire instead of the space between the rear tires being in line with the front tire. This made the floor of the bed the same for the SRW as the DRW for 1985 & 6.

How can that be improved?

I see an update to the Bullnose Facts coming..... :nabble_anim_working: It currently says:

The DRW axles for the pickups, but not the cab & chassis trucks, were made longer to put the inside tire in line with the front tire instead of the space between the rear tires being in line with the front tire. This made the floor of the bed the same for the SRW as the DRW for 1985 & 6.

How can that be improved?

I don't know, other than actually getting people to look at it.

Other item, feedback carbs were used on the 4.9L from sometime in the early 80s (1981 was the earliest I could confirm) through 1986. There were different controls, through 1983 it was the MCU, 1984-1986 it was the EEC-IV. V8 engines were worse, 1981?-1983 it was the infamous EEC-III system, 1984-1986 it was the EEC-IV system.

351W HO (4 barrel) and 460 engines never had feedback carbs. The 351M came with a 7200 VV carb, making the whole thing unique to the early Bullnose models.