Bullnose Forums

Carb Flooding

From my experience two things can cause a carb to flood - too much fuel pressure and junk in the tank. And "junk" includes gum or goo as well as rust or grit.

As for fuel pressure, I've run 460's with 5 psi, so a 300 six with a 1 bbl doesn't need more than that. But I can't tell you the max that your Carter can take, although maybe Bill can.

So if you think your tank is clean or have a good paper filter ahead of the carb, then I'd install a fuel pressure regulator. I've used this Holley unit on several vehicles with good success, but I've paired it with a gauge, like this one from AED.

Gary, will this work? It’s from Summit Racing, SUM-G3032B. 4.5-9 psi. My reason is that it’s black. It has 2 outlets, can one be used for gauge? Should I set it at 4.5 and try that? Thanks CJ

Gary, will this work? It’s from Summit Racing, SUM-G3032B. 4.5-9 psi. My reason is that it’s black. It has 2 outlets, can one be used for gauge? Should I set it at 4.5 and try that? Thanks CJ

Yes, that'll work fine. And yes, you can put a gauge in one of the outlets. Set it to 4 1/2 or 5 and give it a try.

Yes, that'll work fine. And yes, you can put a gauge in one of the outlets. Set it to 4 1/2 or 5 and give it a try.

Thanks Gary, will get it on order. Let you know how goes later. Thanks CJ

F97C40C5-0A5F-4EF6-98D0-72EF635B6330.jpeg.510950464db550b2f2cb5e205e14a088.jpeg Got it done! Made a bracket to bolt on head and factory bracket. Will see how it goes. CJ. 15CAAFA8-64A8-4D9B-84FD-94EA3EBE3293.jpeg.456ee4b839993a96fc79da7437c42c09.jpeg The fittings cost more than the regulator……

Got it done! Made a bracket to bolt on head and factory bracket. Will see how it goes. CJ. The fittings cost more than the regulator……

that looks very well done. do you know the pressure setting? I am very interested in whether this helps. I have been driving the same truck with the same engine as yours since 1991 yet never had the issue that you have. this leads me to think that pump pressure is not the issue, but no one can argue with success. drive it and see.

that looks very well done. do you know the pressure setting? I am very interested in whether this helps. I have been driving the same truck with the same engine as yours since 1991 yet never had the issue that you have. this leads me to think that pump pressure is not the issue, but no one can argue with success. drive it and see.

Thanks Mat, the instructions said the regulator was set at 6.5 psi but my gauge says 4.0 psi, while my gauge read 7 psi before, unless my gauge is wrong. Gary and I think 4.5-5 psi should work fine. I will check with another gauge later. It seems to run fine. CJ

Thanks Mat, the instructions said the regulator was set at 6.5 psi but my gauge says 4.0 psi, while my gauge read 7 psi before, unless my gauge is wrong. Gary and I think 4.5-5 psi should work fine. I will check with another gauge later. It seems to run fine. CJ

You won't hurt anything by running the pressure low. Worst case is that you run out of go at high RPM, but how often do you spin a 300 six to high RPM?