Bullnose Forums

Purchase Advice

P41N

Nice looking truck!

First item, gas mileage, I have gotten as high as 12.5 mpg with Darth, but that is with EFI and an E4OD. With the carbureted 460 and C6, 10 was pretty normal unless I was towing the 5th wheel, then it dropped to 8.

Re Ammeter/Volt meter. Once alternators became standard, the old ammeter really wasn't super useful depending on how it was wired. FWIW, you haven't really experienced qualms about charging unless you have had a vehicle with a generator where you come to a stop, lights dim, heater fan slows, and if you have electric wipers they slow. My 1958 F100, if I didn't take it on a nice long run once a week, by the end of the second week in winter, it almost needed a push, fortunately, both of the two engines I had in it would catch easily, even at slow cranking and resulting low voltage to the ignition.

where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?

[...] has many converting them to a voltmeter that actually shows you something worthwhile.

Jim, I remember you mentioned me this guy who converts ammeter to voltmeter, preserving the classic look.

If anyone wants one I have one of those. No longer needed as I went with Autometer.