Bullnose Forums

Ignition switch rod.

Nevermind. Found it. But I will ask: Has anyone used the Dorman 83280? Does it hold up well? I'm not very happy with Ford right now as I barely touched the thing and it broke.

at this time having the Dorman available seems to be as good as it gets. I myself have not found another option and the ones I have dealt with all seemed to be comparable anyway. one exception is that I sourced a tilt column a couple years ago and when I restored it, I found that the intermediate link (not fords name) was made of brass and not the typical zinc-based alloy. it is the only one I have seen personally. I normally have a couple dormans in stock as I do need to repair columns now and then. I very much prefer the std column for the simplicity and I never use my tilt columns tilted anyway. it just fits me.

at this time having the Dorman available seems to be as good as it gets. I myself have not found another option and the ones I have dealt with all seemed to be comparable anyway. one exception is that I sourced a tilt column a couple years ago and when I restored it, I found that the intermediate link (not fords name) was made of brass and not the typical zinc-based alloy. it is the only one I have seen personally. I normally have a couple dormans in stock as I do need to repair columns now and then. I very much prefer the std column for the simplicity and I never use my tilt columns tilted anyway. it just fits me.

I'm just going to find a non-tilt column and be done with it. I hate tilt columns anyway.:nabble_smiley_sleep:

I'm just going to find a non-tilt column and be done with it. I hate tilt columns anyway.:nabble_smiley_sleep:

Maybe that's an easier route?

In my case, can't say I hate tilt (I really appreciate it in my car and SUV), but I much prefer Big Bro's "truck" straight drive column feeling.

Big Blue’s column wouldn’t always get the starter to spin, so knowing that I’d be hoisting myself in via the column since the truck is so tall I swapped to a non-tilt column. I didn’t want to chance being in the back of beyond and not being able to start it.

Big Blue’s column wouldn’t always get the starter to spin, so knowing that I’d be hoisting myself in via the column since the truck is so tall I swapped to a non-tilt column. I didn’t want to chance being in the back of beyond and not being able to start it.

My tilt column also has a good bit of slop in it. So, I'm going to El Junkyardo in a bit to pull one from an 87 F150.

My tilt column also has a good bit of slop in it. So, I'm going to El Junkyardo in a bit to pull one from an 87 F150.

I have known so many to pull themselves in by the wheel. and let's be honest guys. not all of us truck drivers are a svelte 180lbs. not criticizing, just saying that a little bit of zinc-based hardware might not be enough after a few years. a good friend years ago had a nice 86 bronco and he was twice my size easily and used his this way but he also tilted the wheel all the way up after turning off the truck and always dropped it almost to the bottom everytime right before putting it in gear. like a habit. it was the sloppiest wheel assembly that I ever knew to still work.

I have known so many to pull themselves in by the wheel. and let's be honest guys. not all of us truck drivers are a svelte 180lbs. not criticizing, just saying that a little bit of zinc-based hardware might not be enough after a few years. a good friend years ago had a nice 86 bronco and he was twice my size easily and used his this way but he also tilted the wheel all the way up after turning off the truck and always dropped it almost to the bottom everytime right before putting it in gear. like a habit. it was the sloppiest wheel assembly that I ever knew to still work.

TJ’s Lil Blue has a tilt column and it is SLOPPY! No way I want that. I’m happy with my non-tilt column that has no slop and doesn’t break.