Bullnose Forums

Mute Flasher relay

Had a minor issue during Big Brother's Big Tour.

Big Bro is really not accustomed to high temperatures. Going across Salt Lake City was a hot experience, let's say, and the flasher relay just stuck closed.

I unplugged it and, on evening, I was able to open it and temporarily fix it.

Back home I bought a new one at my local NAPA store.

The problem is that it is so quiet that I just doesn't hear it.

I could do as modern cars and create a circuit to the speakers, in order to mimic the tic-tic flasher sound.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Or simply order a "noisy" model.

Any brand suggestion?

Wagner 552.

These trucks need a thermal flasher. The capacitive discharge style they sell at the parts stores don't last and burn out after a few months, are way too quiet and tend to have erratic blinking when the capacitor starts to go bad. The thermal flashers also put the correct amount of resistance in the circuit. Not a huge deal in our trucks but trucks with LEDs, AODE or E4OD transmissions will get upset.

The "loud" ones advertised at the parts store are a lie. They are internally exactly the same as the standard ones.

I dealt with this a lot when I was a parts store nerd.

Wagner 552.

These trucks need a thermal flasher. The capacitive discharge style they sell at the parts stores don't last and burn out after a few months, are way too quiet and tend to have erratic blinking when the capacitor starts to go bad. The thermal flashers also put the correct amount of resistance in the circuit. Not a huge deal in our trucks but trucks with LEDs, AODE or E4OD transmissions will get upset.

The "loud" ones advertised at the parts store are a lie. They are internally exactly the same as the standard ones.

I dealt with this a lot when I was a parts store nerd.

Thanks guys!

:nabble_smiley_happy: