Bullnose Forums

1982 Ford F150 cranks but will not hit a lick

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum. :nabble_anim_handshake: Hopefully you did do as I requested and read the guidelines even if you didn't create a thread in that folder introducing yourself and your truck. We take seriously the way we treat each other as well as the request to describe the problem and your truck completely and in full sentences.

It looks like your truck has multiple problems, and we will have to stick to one at a time to get anywhere. So, let's work on the fact that the engine won't run and ignore the electrical issue(s) for the moment. (I don't think any '82 had electric fuel pumps and the fact that there's fire to the plugs says that even if he has a computer on the truck that it has power.)

First, had the truck been running and then wouldn't start? If so, what did you do just before it wouldn't run? Frequently the last thing done is the culprit.

But, have you checked for fuel? To do that remove the air cleaner, crawl up in the engine compartment, and while looking down the throat of the carb open the throttle briskly. You should see a stream of fuel squirt into the engine.

If no fuel squirts in then there's either a problem with the fuel delivery to the carb, or the accelerator pump is bad.

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum. :nabble_anim_handshake: Hopefully you did do as I requested and read the guidelines even if you didn't create a thread in that folder introducing yourself and your truck. We take seriously the way we treat each other as well as the request to describe the problem and your truck completely and in full sentences.

It looks like your truck has multiple problems, and we will have to stick to one at a time to get anywhere. So, let's work on the fact that the engine won't run and ignore the electrical issue(s) for the moment. (I don't think any '82 had electric fuel pumps and the fact that there's fire to the plugs says that even if he has a computer on the truck that it has power.)

First, had the truck been running and then wouldn't start? If so, what did you do just before it wouldn't run? Frequently the last thing done is the culprit.

But, have you checked for fuel? To do that remove the air cleaner, crawl up in the engine compartment, and while looking down the throat of the carb open the throttle briskly. You should see a stream of fuel squirt into the engine.

If no fuel squirts in then there's either a problem with the fuel delivery to the carb, or the accelerator pump is bad.

kydannyjoe,

When you have time to return to the forum, give us a bit more information and there will be members who will rally to the cause. Do all you can to facilitate by filling us in with necessary details. We look forward to assisting you! :nabble_smiley_good:

I see you followed my suggestion. Did you ever check timing chain for jumping?

Bill - Thanks for chiming in. What do you know about what's been done to the truck?

And, wouldn't a jumped chain usually result in some backfiring through the carb? Does this one do that?

We sure don't know much about it and don't want to send him off on a wild goose chase, which could easily happen without more info.

Bill - Thanks for chiming in. What do you know about what's been done to the truck?

And, wouldn't a jumped chain usually result in some backfiring through the carb? Does this one do that?

We sure don't know much about it and don't want to send him off on a wild goose chase, which could easily happen without more info.

He verified fuel and spark, even changed the DS-II box. I suggested he check the timing chain be pulling #1 plug and bumping it until he felt pressure, then turning it with a socket and ratchet until he was on TDC, then remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Since it was raining it's tail off in Eastern KY when we talked this morning he wasn't going to be able to check further and I needed to go play french yard games, mow-z-lawn.

He verified fuel and spark, even changed the DS-II box. I suggested he check the timing chain be pulling #1 plug and bumping it until he felt pressure, then turning it with a socket and ratchet until he was on TDC, then remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Since it was raining it's tail off in Eastern KY when we talked this morning he wasn't going to be able to check further and I needed to go play french yard games, mow-z-lawn.

Glad to see what's been done. That will save us a lot of work.

But, how did he verify fuel? Just wanting to make sure that he saw fuel shooting in from the accelerator pump. I say that because I once had fuel to the carb, but the carb wasn't giving any of it up as everything in it was plugged up. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Glad to see what's been done. That will save us a lot of work.

But, how did he verify fuel? Just wanting to make sure that he saw fuel shooting in from the accelerator pump. I say that because I once had fuel to the carb, but the carb wasn't giving any of it up as everything in it was plugged up. :nabble_smiley_blush:

He actually sprayed starting fluid in it, still nothing. The reason I said timing chain, I have seen them jump just far enough it won't run but not far enough to backfire. I have seen them where you could advance the distributor far enough it would start, but not run very well.

He actually sprayed starting fluid in it, still nothing. The reason I said timing chain, I have seen them jump just far enough it won't run but not far enough to backfire. I have seen them where you could advance the distributor far enough it would start, but not run very well.

If he's got fuel and spark, there's only two things that can keep it from firing - too little compression and spark at the wrong time. Not likely it suddenly has too little compression, so it has to be timing.

All of this discussion shows why a forum works better than Facebook for lengthy problem solving. We'd have 100's of people throwing out bizarre suggestions. And the next report-back from testing would be in a whole different thread.