Bullnose Forums

Couple of part & repair questions

CDLong

Big Red repairs are shut down until after the holidays, (boss's orders), but I want to kibe some things out. Here's my questions:

1. What is the proper name of the light mounted under the hood? I need a bulb & lens cover.

2. How do I replace the road map bulbs in the interior light over the rear window?

3. Can the vertical crack in the dash be repaired? Don't know why the screws are there?

4. I must lift up on the driver’s door to close it. I have seen a hinge rebuild kit. Should I try the kit or just replace the hinges?

5. Can the bar to lock into 4wd be purchased or do I have to get the entire locking hub?

Cracked_dash.thumb.jpg.6902b8a17dfb0e9e090ad5a4214a1e21.jpgScrew_in_bottom_of_dash.thumb.jpg.a96e609c7c8b3d6a6e608454585e43f9.jpgScrews_in_top_of_dash.thumb.jpg.bee069836f545462a81a9a559cc17580.jpgPassenger_s_side_4x4_lock_bar.thumb.jpg.877a1ed2188c091b1f5893f571b70fbf.jpg

1. My 1986 owner guide simply says "underhood light (optional)"

2. If I remember correctly, you have to take the plastic cover off the center, remove the screws and take the light assembly off to get to those bulbs

3. On the crack, possibly, it is a common problem. The screws hold the plastic parts onto the metal frame. The entire dash is a built up assembly.

4. If there is play in the hinges, I would replace them as the replacements will probably be the later design.

5. Can't help you on that, I've never owned a 4X4 truck.

1. My 1986 owner guide simply says "underhood light (optional)"

2. If I remember correctly, you have to take the plastic cover off the center, remove the screws and take the light assembly off to get to those bulbs

3. On the crack, possibly, it is a common problem. The screws hold the plastic parts onto the metal frame. The entire dash is a built up assembly.

4. If there is play in the hinges, I would replace them as the replacements will probably be the later design.

5. Can't help you on that, I've never owned a 4X4 truck.

Thanks Bill.

Big Red repairs are shut down until after the holidays, (boss's orders), but I want to kibe some things out. Here's my questions:

1. What is the proper name of the light mounted under the hood? I need a bulb & lens cover. Lamp Assembly (Engine Compartment). You can see the details on the page at Documentation/Under Hood/Engine Compartment Lamp.

2. How do I replace the road map bulbs in the interior light over the rear window? I think Bill is right.

3. Can the vertical crack in the dash be repaired? Don't know why the screws are there? Yes, I think it can be fixed by gluing a piece across the break on the back. And Bill is right about the screws.

4. I must lift up on the driver’s door to close it. I have seen a hinge rebuild kit. Should I try the kit or just replace the hinges? Here I agree with Bill, but the repair kits do a fine job on the original hinges. Prop the door up so you can take one hinge off at a time and repair it on the bench.

5. Can the bar to lock into 4wd be purchased or do I have to get the entire locking hub? I don't think so. See the illustration below which suggests a whole bunch of those parts are in 1K104.

Front_Locking_Hub_Illustration.thumb.jpg.90b6b6b109ed5527ef8c4ff200089fb0.jpg

1. What is the proper name of the light mounted under the hood? I need a bulb & lens cover. Lamp Assembly (Engine Compartment). You can see the details on the page at Documentation/Under Hood/Engine Compartment Lamp.

2. How do I replace the road map bulbs in the interior light over the rear window? I think Bill is right.

3. Can the vertical crack in the dash be repaired? Don't know why the screws are there? Yes, I think it can be fixed by gluing a piece across the break on the back. And Bill is right about the screws.

4. I must lift up on the driver’s door to close it. I have seen a hinge rebuild kit. Should I try the kit or just replace the hinges? Here I agree with Bill, but the repair kits do a fine job on the original hinges. Prop the door up so you can take one hinge off at a time and repair it on the bench.

5. Can the bar to lock into 4wd be purchased or do I have to get the entire locking hub? I don't think so. See the illustration below which suggests a whole bunch of those parts are in 1K104.

Thanks again Gary.

• 2 weeks later...
all questions already answered but I will add to the cracked dash. I have run into dash repairs needed a few times. be aware that the crack may have happened seemingly on its own. the plastics do not age well and once they have seen 40 years, they can get brittle. once a crack begins the plastic tends to shrink back and the crack opens up. the screws that hold it to the skeleton frame can cause the cracks if overtightened. in order to do a good repair, it may be necessary to remove the dash. my concern is that to position it back together fully, you will need to loosen all the screws to the passenger side of the crack and reset them after the repair is done.

all questions already answered but I will add to the cracked dash. I have run into dash repairs needed a few times. be aware that the crack may have happened seemingly on its own. the plastics do not age well and once they have seen 40 years, they can get brittle. once a crack begins the plastic tends to shrink back and the crack opens up. the screws that hold it to the skeleton frame can cause the cracks if overtightened. in order to do a good repair, it may be necessary to remove the dash. my concern is that to position it back together fully, you will need to loosen all the screws to the passenger side of the crack and reset them after the repair is done.

i just noticed the truck info. 85 efi 5.0 with c4. are you sure that it's not an aod? if so t should have a 14 bolt trans pan the says metric

I'm figuring on replacing the dash once all mechanical issues are repaired. Thanks for your insight.

i just noticed the truck info. 85 efi 5.0 with c4. are you sure that it's not an aod? if so t should have a 14 bolt trans pan the says metric

Yes, there 14 bolts. Good catch! I was going to replace the modulator valve but I found that the AOD doesn't have one. Gotta do some studying on it. I have changed the transmission to AOD in my signature.