Bullnose Forums

Edelbrock carb question

Whisler

I had 4 Studebakers over my young years, a 1950 (bullet nose), a 1953 (sleek design), a 1956 Golden Hawk, (Packard/Hawk), and a 1957 Silver Hawk. My 2 favorites were the 1953 for its beautiful body design and the 1956 for its combination of looks and power.

The '56 GH was the first year for the GH and the year that Studebaker merged with Packard. They basically took the 1955 Power Hawk body, added small upright fins and replaced the Studebaker V-8 with the larger Packard V-8. In '57, the GH went back to the Studebaker V-8 and added a supercharger and larger,swooping fins.

The '56 GH was a blast to drive; it was geared in such a way that it turned 1000 RPM/30MPH in high gear.

On the open road (interstate) the only car that I ever had out accelerate me from 60 MPH up, and I ran against some big, powerful cars, was what I believe to be a dual quad Corvette.

I'm pretty sure it had dual quads, because when we both nailed it at 60 MPH I took off like a shot and he nose-dived and bogged. When he got it wound up he went by me.

It's a wonder I survived my youthful driving! Don't tell my kids!

That's great! Those were cars!