Bullnose Forums

86 f350 intake manifold.

ARM Ashby

I use a small bead of RTV around the coolant passages and on the china wall. On it I put a 3/8" bead of RTV, and some in the corners where the wall meets the head. But make SURE the china wall and the intake are CLEAN so the RTV adheres. I use brake cleaner on a rag to clean them before adding the RTV.

And I cut the heads off bolts to use as guides for the intake so you don't move it side/side or fore/aft as you lower it and mess up that RTV. But you still have to be careful that you lower it evenly as you can get it cocked on the block & heads. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I use a small bead of RTV around the coolant passages and on the china wall. On it I put a 3/8" bead of RTV, and some in the corners where the wall meets the head. But make SURE the china wall and the intake are CLEAN so the RTV adheres. I use brake cleaner on a rag to clean them before adding the RTV.

And I cut the heads off bolts to use as guides for the intake so you don't move it side/side or fore/aft as you lower it and mess up that RTV. But you still have to be careful that you lower it evenly as you can get it cocked on the block & heads. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Thank you Gary. It is a stock 460 it has studs in the corners and I have to use engine hoist for R/R. I am too old to mussel it on and off. Thanks again

Thank you Gary. It is a stock 460 it has studs in the corners and I have to use engine hoist for R/R. I am too old to mussel it on and off. Thanks again

I understand! I built a 460 a few years ago and the heads were quite a challenge on the engine stand.

There's no way I could put an intake on by myself in the truck. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I understand! I built a 460 a few years ago and the heads were quite a challenge on the engine stand.

There's no way I could put an intake on by myself in the truck. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Try a 390 intake in a 1977 F150. My son and I had to do the heads on the 1977 F150 I had owned and replaced the 300/C4 with a 390/C6. Those make a 429/460 iron intake feel light.

Try a 390 intake in a 1977 F150. My son and I had to do the heads on the 1977 F150 I had owned and replaced the 300/C4 with a 390/C6. Those make a 429/460 iron intake feel light.

Yes, the FE intakes are so wide they go under the valve covers! I remember changing the 2bbl one to a 4bbl on the 390 in my 72 F250. I sat in the engine compartment and laid it in there, but then I was 25 at the time, so...

But it woke that 390 up and I didn't have any leaks, so it was a big success.