Bullnose Forums

How To Stop This?

When I pulled the inlet air system in order to get down to the steering box I discovered that there is movement where the inlet air line crosses the A/C system high pressure line. In fact, the inlet tube has worn completely through the foam insulation that's on the line and was rubbing on the steel line itself.

As I put that back together today I stuck a piece of garage door bottom seal between them, as you can see in the picture, and that was the wrong thing to do. Now when things move under the hood there's a noise like two rubber pieces sliding over each other - which is pretty much exactly what it is.

So I'm looking for suggestions. One approach is to put something between those parts that will let them slide w/o making noise. But probably a better approach is to raise the air cleaner box about 1/2" and see if that will let the inlet tube clear the A/C line.

Thoughts? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/waving_orig.gif

Squeek_At_Inlet__AC_Line.thumb.jpg.13f5a2fa684768ccb98f24a0038d56b5.jpg

What I generally use for these situations is thin rubber like a tire tube. Bicycle inner tubes work well. Just hold them on with a couple of zip ties.(I probably keep 1000+ zip ties on hand at all times)

I have plenty of inner tube rubber. But I wonder if that would be very different from the garage door seal?

Which AC lines are you using? I have no interference on Darth, but I used a complete 1996 system both underhood and inside.

1990 lines. Originally came from Huck the half-truck. But those are new lines as the old ones had a leak.

I did some playing with it later and I think I can raise the inboard end of the air box about 1/2" and that will make the inlet tube clear the A/C line. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow and will report back.

1990 lines. Originally came from Huck the half-truck. But those are new lines as the old ones had a leak.

I did some playing with it later and I think I can raise the inboard end of the air box about 1/2" and that will make the inlet tube clear the A/C line. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow and will report back.

As it turns out I lowered the outboard end of the air box, which raised the inboard end. As you can see in the pic on the left I circled the bolt I added, which screws into a nutsert I put in the bracket the air box sits in. And in the pic on the right you can see that there's light coming through the gap between the inlet tube and the A/C compressor's discharge line.

There's only about a 1/8" gap, but that's far better than having the inlet tube resting on the A/C line. So I think the problem has been solved.

Rear_Bolt_To_Tilt_Air_Box.thumb.jpg.94a3b3b44b29d77a3876ee4e9318f585.jpgAir_Inlet_To_AC_Line_Clearance.thumb.jpg.587c2ca19a8e17eadbb96012285b25ed.jpg

I started to use the 1990 stuff off "big Ugly" the 1990 parts truck. When I was able to get a complete 1996 underhood and inside cases and ducting, I scored a set of almost new lines at PnP and ordered a 1994 up condenser and the proper orifice tube for a crew cab. Matt was still at LKQ so I got his price.