Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's 2023 SMORR Trip

Nothing Special

The "chapters" is a YouTube thing. I've had that in videos before. At the end of the description you put times for the breaks and headings for the chapters. I like that it helps people skip what they don't want to see, or go back to what they do.

Pluto is carbed, and that definitely shows up in restarts at times! But he really does work well overall, so "improving" him with fuel injection isn't even on the wish list.

Well that wrapped up our time at Rush Springs. We camped there that night, and on Friday morning drove to SMORR. After setting up camp and eating lunch we headed out on their trails for the afternoon.

This first video is another that I'm not putting on my channel. There was a "little" climb off to the side of the road we were taking to our first trail. Jeff and Dale decided to "put some tires on it." Neither expected to make the climb, they just wanted to see what they could do. The rest of us just watched!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that wrapped up our time at Rush Springs. We camped there that night, and on Friday morning drove to SMORR. After setting up camp and eating lunch we headed out on their trails for the afternoon.

This first video is another that I'm not putting on my channel. There was a "little" climb off to the side of the road we were taking to our first trail. Jeff and Dale decided to "put some tires on it." Neither expected to make the climb, they just wanted to see what they could do. The rest of us just watched!

Yikes! That looked precarious! But they got farther than I would have guessed they'd get. Those guys and rigs are good, but I think I'd rather be a bit more cautious.

Having built it I don't want to tear it up. And, I'm not the most "out there" person. I like being reasonably safe and it takes others to coax me into doing risky things. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Yeah, that was the problem! But even with the peer pressure I still have some self-control!

After that short diversion we got to what turned out to be the main trail of the trip. Double Whammy had a lot of obstacles, and with a large group (I think 9 rigs by now) there was always at least one thing to watch. I ended up stopping half-way up a ledge to wait for some people to spot for me (you can see Pluto sitting in the background once or twice). The result of all of this was a complete lack of "flow" to the experience, so that's what this video is too. I decided to leave everything in chronological order rather than lump all of the videos of each vehicle together, or trying to show all the footage of the first obstacle before moving on to the second.

This was a tough trail, and a couple of the obstacles (including that ledge I mentioned, the ledge in the thumbnail by the way) were things I wouldn't have tried alone. But especially after watching others ahead of me, there wasn't anything here that looked likely to do body damage . That's really the best kind of trail, a real challenge but not much anxiety!

Spoiler alert, I did end up winching to get up that ledge (Fuzz did too, in the red Jeep). The added width of Pluto over the stockish Jeeps kept me from doing exactly the line they did, and my small tires compared to the not stockish Jeeps kept me from just muscling over like they did. Or another way I've heard it put is "I just ran out of talent!"

Yeah, that was the problem! But even with the peer pressure I still have some self-control!

After that short diversion we got to what turned out to be the main trail of the trip. Double Whammy had a lot of obstacles, and with a large group (I think 9 rigs by now) there was always at least one thing to watch. I ended up stopping half-way up a ledge to wait for some people to spot for me (you can see Pluto sitting in the background once or twice). The result of all of this was a complete lack of "flow" to the experience, so that's what this video is too. I decided to leave everything in chronological order rather than lump all of the videos of each vehicle together, or trying to show all the footage of the first obstacle before moving on to the second.

This was a tough trail, and a couple of the obstacles (including that ledge I mentioned, the ledge in the thumbnail by the way) were things I wouldn't have tried alone. But especially after watching others ahead of me, there wasn't anything here that looked likely to do body damage . That's really the best kind of trail, a real challenge but not much anxiety!

Spoiler alert, I did end up winching to get up that ledge (Fuzz did too, in the red Jeep). The added width of Pluto over the stockish Jeeps kept me from doing exactly the line they did, and my small tires compared to the not stockish Jeeps kept me from just muscling over like they did. Or another way I've heard it put is "I just ran out of talent!"

Wow, some of those Jeeps make it look easy. No overhang and lots of ground clearance as well as travel seems to help a lot. But others of you were hitting and that makes it hard to get over things like that ledge. The noises had me wincing - not winching. (But there's no shame in winching given how hard that was.)

And statements like "Just a bit more commitment" had me laughing. But y'all seem to work together well and everyone gets up in his own way. :nabble_smiley_good:

Wow, some of those Jeeps make it look easy. No overhang and lots of ground clearance as well as travel seems to help a lot. But others of you were hitting and that makes it hard to get over things like that ledge. The noises had me wincing - not winching. (But there's no shame in winching given how hard that was.)

And statements like "Just a bit more commitment" had me laughing. But y'all seem to work together well and everyone gets up in his own way. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, that's a phase you hear with this group a lot! Along with "a little more mo" (short for momentum). And a couple people were being encouraged to hang their left foot outside the Jeep. That was to keep them from pushing in the clutch just when they were about to pop over (but they obviously thought they weren't, so they were trying t stop). It is a fun group!

Yeah, that's a phase you hear with this group a lot! Along with "a little more mo" (short for momentum). And a couple people were being encouraged to hang their left foot outside the Jeep. That was to keep them from pushing in the clutch just when they were about to pop over (but they obviously thought they weren't, so they were trying t stop). It is a fun group!

I said that Double Whammy was the main trail for the trip. At least that was true for me. That was around 4:00 on Friday, and the 'wheeling for the rest of the weekend was definitely anticlimactic. In fact, I don't even have any more video of Pluto until from Sunday morning. That's not to say we weren't doing anything, just that we weren't doing anything that was both hard enough to be worth getting video and easy enough for me to attempt. But other people were still doing some pretty crazy things, so it was still fun to watch and help spot. These next four videos are ones that I won't be publishing to my channel because I'm not in them, but I'll share them here if anyone is interested.

This next one is the least interesting. The entire group (including a couple of people less adventurous than me) was meandering around on some mostly easier trails when Jeff (who was in the lead) drove past a sing identifying the trail, Cheap Trick, as a 5 rated trail. I can do SOME of the 5s at SMORR, but not everyone in the group will. A little farther along Jeff and Alan had started down a STEEP hill. At the bottom Jeff said "I don't think this is a 3 anymore" (he hadn't seen the "5" sign). So we decided to turn around.

Jeff was at the bottom, so he turned around easily and worked his way back up. Alan had lost his power steering belt part way down. He was able to sort of salvage it and get it back on (but fought it slipping the rest of the trip), but that meant he still had quite a bit of challenging hill ahead of him. He opted to turn around on the hill rather than go all the way down and have to go all the way up. I don't think I would have made that choice! But I did choose to record his effort in case he did anything exciting, like roll over! He didn't, so the video isn't as much... fun as it might be.

Then as we were driving out on Pee Wee Crossing the trail is rutted out on alternate sides, which makes it kind of interesting as you are leaned heavily one way and then the other. We decided to try to hold the phone level in the Bronco and show what that looked like. It probably doesn't look like much, but I decided to throw it on the end of this other "not much" video.

I said that Double Whammy was the main trail for the trip. At least that was true for me. That was around 4:00 on Friday, and the 'wheeling for the rest of the weekend was definitely anticlimactic. In fact, I don't even have any more video of Pluto until from Sunday morning. That's not to say we weren't doing anything, just that we weren't doing anything that was both hard enough to be worth getting video and easy enough for me to attempt. But other people were still doing some pretty crazy things, so it was still fun to watch and help spot. These next four videos are ones that I won't be publishing to my channel because I'm not in them, but I'll share them here if anyone is interested.

This next one is the least interesting. The entire group (including a couple of people less adventurous than me) was meandering around on some mostly easier trails when Jeff (who was in the lead) drove past a sing identifying the trail, Cheap Trick, as a 5 rated trail. I can do SOME of the 5s at SMORR, but not everyone in the group will. A little farther along Jeff and Alan had started down a STEEP hill. At the bottom Jeff said "I don't think this is a 3 anymore" (he hadn't seen the "5" sign). So we decided to turn around.

Jeff was at the bottom, so he turned around easily and worked his way back up. Alan had lost his power steering belt part way down. He was able to sort of salvage it and get it back on (but fought it slipping the rest of the trip), but that meant he still had quite a bit of challenging hill ahead of him. He opted to turn around on the hill rather than go all the way down and have to go all the way up. I don't think I would have made that choice! But I did choose to record his effort in case he did anything exciting, like roll over! He didn't, so the video isn't as much... fun as it might be.

Then as we were driving out on Pee Wee Crossing the trail is rutted out on alternate sides, which makes it kind of interesting as you are leaned heavily one way and then the other. We decided to try to hold the phone level in the Bronco and show what that looked like. It probably doesn't look like much, but I decided to throw it on the end of this other "not much" video.

After that pretty lame video this next one is a bit more interesting, even including the first "flop" of the trip (Alan at about 10:30 in the video as well as the thumbnail picture). As flops go it was pretty lame, with a rock catching him before he went all the way on his side. A couple people were able to push him back on his tires.

Anyway, this trail is called Rocky Road. It's certainly rocky, but I'm not sure it's a road! Kenzie (my dog) and I got to ride up this trail with Jeff on

, and I knew this wasn't going to be one Pluto would be doing!

I agree, I wouldn't have tried to turn around there. But he made it w/o too much fuss, so it made for an interesting video.

As did keeping the camera level and letting us see the lean back and forth. However, I think I could do that trail. :nabble_smiley_wink: