Bullnose Forums

Converting to mass air on the 5.0

ScubaSteve

Yes, seems once he got it sorted out it runs great. Fiveology sells kits but I essentially built my system using almost all stock Ford parts with the exception of the intake system, I had to fabricate an intake system since the factory MAF 460s are only slightly more common then hen's teeth. I started with a 1995 Lincoln Continental MAF as it is almost exactly the same as the 460 one, same physical size and mounting. I used a 5.0/5.8L MAF air filter and modified it to attach the 90 mm MAF to it, I used a pair of 4" expansion hoses for the connection to the wye going into the throttle body. Since the 460 throttle body is (a) larger than the 5.0/5.8L throttle bodies and (b) horizontal and © located roughly over the center of the engine. I had to get from the air filter to the throttle body over the air conditioning compressor. I fabricated an elbow from a piece of PVC pipe elbow and a piece of 4" thin wall conduit, connected the IAC hose and crankcase closure hose to the side of the conduit. I used another length of conduit from the air filter to the air inlet to the engine using the two silicone bellows so the engine motion wouldn't break anything. I updated it to a closer to stock system and finally managed to obtain a factory 460 MAF intake.

One thing very important, ALL air going into the engine must pass through the MAF, even the PCV closure hose has to connect behind it.

First air intake design:

Second air intake design:

Factory air intake system:

I think Big Blue is gonna look just like the factory pic as Mark/Dyn Blin found hen's teeth. :nabble_smiley_grin:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic