Bullnose Forums

Converting to mass air on the 5.0

ScubaSteve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No true experience. But I’m planning to convert Big Blue to EEC-V, which is mass air and sequential injection. However, I’m going from a carb to that. In your case I would think that the main issue will be the wiring harness & ECU.

But, the first question will be whether you are going EEC-IV or V. I think, but could easily be wrong, that some of the IV’s were mass air on the 5.0. If that is true then that would greatly simplify the problem for you. (I know Steve83 recently corrected me on this topic, but was it for just the 460 or for all engines?)

No true experience. But I’m planning to convert Big Blue to EEC-V, which is mass air and sequential injection. However, I’m going from a carb to that. In your case I would think that the main issue will be the wiring harness & ECU.

But, the first question will be whether you are going EEC-IV or V. I think, but could easily be wrong, that some of the IV’s were mass air on the 5.0. If that is true then that would greatly simplify the problem for you. (I know Steve83 recently corrected me on this topic, but was it for just the 460 or for all engines?)

1994 5.0L automatic transmission engines were Mass Air, 1995 5.8L automatic transmission engines were mass air. 1996 everything went mass air except the 7.5L engines, but some California automatic transmission models were mass air.

1994 5.0L automatic transmission engines were Mass Air, 1995 5.8L automatic transmission engines were mass air. 1996 everything went mass air except the 7.5L engines, but some California automatic transmission models were mass air.

Bill - Which of those were EEC-IV? Wouldn't it be far easier for him to convert to mass air that way than to convert to EEC-V?

I’m looking at a kit like this one but if I knew what components to find at a salvage yard I could probably save a lot of money.

https://shop.fiveologyracing.com/FORD-F-SERIES-MASS-AIR-CONVERSION-SMALL-BLOCK_c7.htm

You can find most if not all of it can be found in a junkyard. fiveologyracing is packaging what is basically Mustang parts. If you have the AOD it will work great and even the 4R70/75W will work with it as the Mustang automatics were either AOD or 4R70/75Ws.

The 1994 up automatic 5.0L and 1995 up 5.8L both came with MAF/SEFI, so they should be reasonably common in junkyards. Just keep in mind, up through 1995 they are EEC-IV, 1996 models are EEC-V and a lot of the stuff including the EEC is different. If you find one in a junkyard, grab all the wiring you can, better to have stuff you don't need than find you need something later.

The injector firing order will need to be changed as 1994 up 5.0L and all 5.8L use a different firing order (13726548 instead of 15426378).

You can find most if not all of it can be found in a junkyard. fiveologyracing is packaging what is basically Mustang parts. If you have the AOD it will work great and even the 4R70/75W will work with it as the Mustang automatics were either AOD or 4R70/75Ws.

The 1994 up automatic 5.0L and 1995 up 5.8L both came with MAF/SEFI, so they should be reasonably common in junkyards. Just keep in mind, up through 1995 they are EEC-IV, 1996 models are EEC-V and a lot of the stuff including the EEC is different. If you find one in a junkyard, grab all the wiring you can, better to have stuff you don't need than find you need something later.

The injector firing order will need to be changed as 1994 up 5.0L and all 5.8L use a different firing order (13726548 instead of 15426378).

If I do this I was thinking about a cam swap to HO cam. That would correct the firing order correct?

I’m thinking of converting my truck to mass air.
Why, exactly?
If anyone has any advice or experience on the subject I would like to hear it.
Simply swapping to MAF probably won't make enough difference to justify the cost & effort, or even to actually notice. MAF was more for emissions compliance than performance, and there are probably as many performance gains available for a MAP as a MAF (if that's what you're after).

My advice, based on personal experience a few times (with other vehicles/engines) is: buy the newest wreck with the engine & management system you want, and drop the whole mess (as complete as possible, including ALL the emissions controls) into your truck as a full factory system. Then drive the hell out of it! :nabble_smiley_good: It'll run better, last longer, and be easier/cheaper to maintain than any mixture of old/new factory/aftermarket that you might come up with. The best donor for a 5.0L is the ~02 Explorer/Mountaineer, which is MAF EDIS OBD-II; and they're typically DIRT-cheap (moreso right after cash-for-clunkers, but even now).

I think, but could easily be wrong, that some of the IV’s were mass air on the 5.0.
I compiled this diagram from all the '92-96 EVTMs, and several editions of Haynes:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/892730/thumbnail/eecconnectors.jpg

Unfortunately, I know it's still not complete. But what it shows is correct.

I’m thinking of converting my truck to mass air.
Why, exactly?
If anyone has any advice or experience on the subject I would like to hear it.
Simply swapping to MAF probably won't make enough difference to justify the cost & effort, or even to actually notice. MAF was more for emissions compliance than performance, and there are probably as many performance gains available for a MAP as a MAF (if that's what you're after).

My advice, based on personal experience a few times (with other vehicles/engines) is: buy the newest wreck with the engine & management system you want, and drop the whole mess (as complete as possible, including ALL the emissions controls) into your truck as a full factory system. Then drive the hell out of it! :nabble_smiley_good: It'll run better, last longer, and be easier/cheaper to maintain than any mixture of old/new factory/aftermarket that you might come up with. The best donor for a 5.0L is the ~02 Explorer/Mountaineer, which is MAF EDIS OBD-II; and they're typically DIRT-cheap (moreso right after cash-for-clunkers, but even now).

I think, but could easily be wrong, that some of the IV’s were mass air on the 5.0.
I compiled this diagram from all the '92-96 EVTMs, and several editions of Haynes:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/892730/thumbnail/eecconnectors.jpg

Unfortunately, I know it's still not complete. But what it shows is correct.

I will second Steve83's comments, the 1985.5-1986 heads are some of the worst ever installed on the small Windsor (221-302) engines, the Explorer 5.0L engines got the GT40 heads for the first few years then went to GT40P heads. They breath a lot better, but, even your 1986 cast iron exhaust manifolds are better than the original "headers" for the Explorer, due to chassis constraints they have several "choke points" where they had to squeeze past other items.

One thing, at the absolute minimum, you are going to have to remove the upper plenum just to get at the engine portion of the EFI harness, the right side is buried under it. One other issue you will find, the 1986 air filter has no way to insert the MAF sensor and the 1986 body does not have provision for the later airfilter housing, all that will need some work, Gary is seeing that on Big Blue.

You could, as Steve83 pointed out just drop a later system in, and stay with the MAP sensor. Unless you are planning on a hotter cam, speed density works quite well, we had a 1990 Lincoln Town Car with a speed density, sequential EFI system, which also had some very nice stainless steel exhaust headers. FWIW, the 5.0L truck intake is actually pretty damn good and was used essentially unchanged through 1996. The Explorer intake is quite good, and if you eliminate the 90° elbow between the throttle body and plenum, it is basically like a Mustang intake.

Biggest thing with the 5.0L in a truck, it lacks torque at low rpm which a truck needs much more than a car, you are dealing with something that weighs almost twice what a Mustang does. I told a good friend who had, at the time two F150s, one was a 4.9L 1986, the other a 5.0L 1994, both automatics. He was building a house in Charlotte County VA, and going up weekends from Newport News VA while doing this, he asked me which was the better choice to keep and use. I told him the 94 with the overdrive automatic and V8 was a better highway truck, if he needed to haul or drag something, the 6 was superior.