Bullnose Forums

AC reinstall

If you have a complete system and it has been open you need to change out the drier.

You can replace it for the same year as the truck as it will bolt right in.

As for the switch they do say to replace it or adjust the one you have to work with the higher PSI that the 134a runs at.

Now I replaced mine and it went bad with in a year.

Also in checking even being for a 134 system had the same cut off / on psi as my 81 switch.

Also on the adjusting if you look at the plug end the screw is reverse from a normal screw driver so I dont know how you can turn it?

At this time because the "134a" switch is bad I got it jumped out so the AC will work as it gets really really hot here!

You should also replace all the O-rings that work with 134a.

I also replaced all hoses but 1 as I could not find it but I also seen posted you dont have to replace the hoses because of the R12 oil has sealed them. So take it for what it is worth.

I also installed a new condenser as the old was bad.

Now for oil I forget what I used or how much at this time.

The first time I think I added to much as it did not cool too good.

I had issues with leaks, fittings not tight, used compressor went bad just a mess to get the system going.

When the compressor went bad I changed out the drier again (it was new to start) and flushed the whole system with AC flush.

Now that I have the system sealed, new compressor, hoses, condenser, drier, pilot tube and charged to 80% of the R12 it cools pretty good.

Dave ----

Thanks for the advice. I took a look at my components and I just don't think it will be worth the cost. However, now I'm looking at doing something I've wanted to do for a long time: on board air. So let's start a new thread!