Bullnose Forums

Vinny Here... and There..

vjsimone

Most of us are of varied backgrounds.

Ain't that the truth. I'm mostly Scottish, with a little Irish mixed in. The common joke around here for the people that are half Irish and half Scottish is that half of you wants to drink all the time, and the other half doesn't want to pay for it. All those jokes about the frugal Scotsman are based on the truth.:nabble_anim_drunk:

Vinny will tell ya that there's lots of Irish on Newfoundland, and it's not uncommon to see Irish flags over there;).

Gary, the Simone or di Simone is the Italian side of the house…

Yeah, The Irish in Newfoundland have considered themselves Irish all these years. Loads of Irish Flags flying and the “Republic of Newfoundland” flags flying (similar to the Irish flag).

Some Outports were so remote, that they maintained the accent they brought over from their respective County of origin.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a well-known Lewis family in the village of Holyrood, they were schooner captains and boat builders.

I'm no expert, but having lived in London where there are plenty of Irish, and having spent time more recently on the Emerald Isle (including getting the "gift of gab"), you seem to have retained your Irish phraseology and accent. However, unlike when I lived in London and was able to figure out a Brit's home from his accent, I can't differentiate between Irish accents.

As for the Lewis family, are they originally from Wales? Or the Isle of Lewis? I don't know where my Lewis ancestors came from, but an uncle that spent some time in England and did a bit of research seemed to think it was from Wales.

• 4 weeks later...