Bullnose Forums

Borgeson Steering Shaft Install - A probably obvious answer

ckuske

Hi All,

Since I saw Blue Top is going out of business, I purcahsed a steering box the other day. I figured (here comes the layer of the onion) that I should swap our the steering shaft at the same time.

So, I bought a Borgeson. They (well, CJ Pony Parts) have a good sale going on right now, here:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-steering-shaft-telescopic-steel-ford-truck-1980-1991/p/BRG000985/

Ok, enough of that. Here comes the question. My truck currently has 20" wheels with some skinny tires.

My plan was to install my stock 15" wheels with 235/75 R15 (stock) tires as my next plan of action - until I bought the Blue Top instead.

I wouldn't think so, but changing wheels and tires wouldn't affect the length of the steering shaft that I'll need to cut down, right? I am going to install the shaft now, then later move to the 15" wheels. I would think only lifting or lowering via a suspension kit would affect it.

But, I've never done it before and I don't want to make a $300 mistake based on a faulty assumption!

Thanks

Correct, the steering box is fixed to the frame so unless you do a body lift the distance from the frame to the opening in the firewall will be the same regardless of wheel size.

It was pretty sure that was the case, but I don't trust myself to intuitively know and I'd rather double check with others. The whole peer review thing... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Thank you!