Bullnose Forums

Big Brother's Big Tour

BigBrother-84

I think that, if my wife didn't "insist" to get down the Shafer Pass, we would have missed a wonderfull trip buy not seeing the Potash Trail.

To tell the thruth, it was far from confortable. Big Bro acts as the ancient horses stagecoachs, with springs under straight shafts... and we were missing the springs under our seats. :nabble_smiley_wink:.

I could tell you about each little rock and bump of Potash Trail.

I would say that half of the road is interesting (the first part living bottom Shafer Pass), but the second half is not so special. But the first part largely compensates the second one.

So, if your question is about the trail itself, I would say it has some nice spots but isn't so special. You do it for the views, not for the trail.

But in my opinion, not going down and looking at the canyon only by the top is missing half of the show.

Yeah, the second half of Potash Road was where it got really long, after the best views were gone, but before the rough road was done. My Bronco is actually sprung pretty stiff too (not 1-ton truck stiff, but it's not soft). It hadn't seemed worth it to air down for just 10 miles of dirt road, but in hind sight I should have.

I'm glad you thought it was worth it!

Hw 50 would have been my recommendation. Well done!....

I haven't taken highway 50. I might have to some day! But even I-70 is a pretty nice drive from Denver to west of Glenwood Springs!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that, if my wife didn't "insist" to get down the Shafer Pass, we would have missed a wonderfull trip buy not seeing the Potash Trail.

To tell the thruth, it was far from confortable. Big Bro acts as the ancient horses stagecoachs, with springs under straight shafts... and we were missing the springs under our seats. :nabble_smiley_wink:.

I could tell you about each little rock and bump of Potash Trail.

I would say that half of the road is interesting (the first part living bottom Shafer Pass), but the second half is not so special. But the first part largely compensates the second one.

So, if your question is about the trail itself, I would say it has some nice spots but isn't so special. You do it for the views, not for the trail.

But in my opinion, not going down and looking at the canyon only by the top is missing half of the show.

Yeah, the second half of Potash Road was where it got really long, after the best views were gone, but before the rough road was done. My Bronco is actually sprung pretty stiff too (not 1-ton truck stiff, but it's not soft). It hadn't seemed worth it to air down for just 10 miles of dirt road, but in hind sight I should have.

I'm glad you thought it was worth it!

Hw 50 would have been my recommendation. Well done!....

I haven't taken highway 50. I might have to some day! But even I-70 is a pretty nice drive from Denver to west of Glenwood Springs!

As said, I hope to do Moab in Big Blue sometime. And y'all are adding fuel to my fire. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Hw 50 goes along the Arkansas River in a very deep canyon. It is really a neat drive and you know, for sure, you are in the Rockies as there's nothing but rock to see.

And I'm told I'm somehow descended from Meriwether Lewis - although he supposedly had no children. :nabble_anim_crazy:

How funny...family legend is that my Oklahoma grandmother is a descendant of William Clark. I've tried and so far failed to find a link to him via Ancestry, but it's still a good story.

As said, I hope to do Moab in Big Blue sometime. And y'all are adding fuel to my fire. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Hw 50 goes along the Arkansas River in a very deep canyon. It is really a neat drive and you know, for sure, you are in the Rockies as there's nothing but rock to see.

14+15 septembre

Days 16 & 17, En Route to Skiatook

1013km / 630 miles (Green & Orange).

Big_Tour-17.jpg.ef0580abb94ffb79171900d2593ced93.jpg

Leaving Cañon City, long ride to Skiatook, mix sun & rain.

We stopped camping at Boiling Spring Campground State Park, between Woodward and Mooreland (very nice, clean and quiet, altough we heard train horn every 10 minutes :nabble_smiley_wink:).

IMG_0114.jpg.b1e4b4251f922c996552c5386ad290b6.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg.93ad66ded8becdf519b9c939132df7bb.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg.49ea1441df89958a21633d141da8a2e8.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg.5022165843db03b8ce5425be80ddb558.jpg

Arrived at Skiatook around 3PM, shower for us and car wash for Big Brother.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Nice group, we had a good time and good lunch!

14+15 septembre

Days 16 & 17, En Route to Skiatook

1013km / 630 miles (Green & Orange).

Leaving Cañon City, long ride to Skiatook, mix sun & rain.

We stopped camping at Boiling Spring Campground State Park, between Woodward and Mooreland (very nice, clean and quiet, altough we heard train horn every 10 minutes :nabble_smiley_wink:).

Arrived at Skiatook around 3PM, shower for us and car wash for Big Brother.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Nice group, we had a good time and good lunch!

Beautiful photos!