Bullnose Forums

Floor shift steering column change to auto column?

jdfoto

I know that an 86 column will work in my 84.

I found a nice and tight 85 automatic column with tilt. Mine is a floor shift with tilt. Can I swap them out without any issues?

I'm hoping to use the auto column while I rebuild the manual one, but I don't want to spend the money only to find I can't use it.

Thanks!

Yes, you can do that. Obviously you'll have the auto shifter sticking out, although it could be removed if you really care to.

Thank you. And thanks for the quick response!

I was pretty sure it would work, but knew better than to spend money on 'pretty sure'.

Welcome. I think you can remove the shift lever by driving the pin out, but I've not done it.

You can, some pins have a head on them and have to driven out toward the head. You will need to secure the shifter bowl in the Park position, or the lock will not come all the way back for key removal/accessory position.

You can, some pins have a head on them and have to driven out toward the head. You will need to secure the shifter bowl in the Park position, or the lock will not come all the way back for key removal/accessory position.

Bill, I was just going to contact you about my 1985 f150 auto shifter. It has a lot of slop, couldn’t find info for a fix. Any ideas. The last one I changed out was in the early 60’s from Auto to standard in a 55 Ford Sunliner. CJ