Bullnose Forums

Step bumper hitch

C.Jett

279C7D28-0C9C-424E-83CF-4C93C0854B56.jpeg.f83bbf0bd54352d724ec0f2e484e1d30.jpeg2117B168-EFA8-4007-8208-D5DA0B58FA1F.jpeg.5d65ce712b96c255ade63fe285aa9611.jpegI had metal laying around and needed an adjustable heigh hitch, I only had to buy the receiver Harbor Freight, $18. The hitch will surpass the truck’s weight carrying ability. Plus I can adjust the heigh. The 38 yo bumper cleaned up good with Brasso. The part laying in front of bumper is an air dam for front bumper. 1/8x3/4x11/2x50”. With a bend at each end @43/8. All metal in hitch is 1/4”. CJ

Yes, that looks nice. Appears to bolt to the frame with as many bolts as my hitch does. :nabble_smiley_good:

I wasn't going to mention Darth's V5 receiver setup. Since the receiver is welded into the center well of the step bumper, the bolt count to the frame stands at 10.

Here is the left side with the side plate removed so I could get the rear tank out:

IMGP0628b.thumb.jpg.d3db3a95cda589a9ce00ff59ba6238dc.jpg

Here is the inside of the right side frame showing where the 3 bolts go on the side plate:

IMGP0630b.thumb.jpg.141a3ac787d8056795d4b47f4fe9ae66.jpg

Here is what it looks like in the back, disregard the stickers, they were from over 10 years ago:

IMGP0965.thumb.jpg.50dd672ec7e2f28b4df8879bed90379d.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the weld beads where the receiver is welded into the "step". I have no idea what brand of hitch it is, it and a 5th wheel hitch came with Darth when I bought him in April 1994.

Nice and clean!

:nabble_anim_claps:

I like these OE chrome bumpers, but wasn't able to find any clean ones around. When there was an "acceptable" one, it was painted...

So I bought a bran new chrome bumper. It's nice, but not same shape as OE was (higher and not profiled to follow the bed sides).

It doesn't go as far to the truck's front as the original one, resulting in the ball too close to the bumper because of this. This caused me problems, and I had to purchase a longer ball mount.

Looks nice! Well thought out and executed.

Thanks Bill, I didn’t modify the bumper in any way. Just remove hitch and install original brackets and you are good to go. I have a pattern for the hitch brackets if anybody wants it. CJ

Nice and clean!

:nabble_anim_claps:

I like these OE chrome bumpers, but wasn't able to find any clean ones around. When there was an "acceptable" one, it was painted...

So I bought a bran new chrome bumper. It's nice, but not same shape as OE was (higher and not profiled to follow the bed sides).

It doesn't go as far to the truck's front as the original one, resulting in the ball too close to the bumper because of this. This caused me problems, and I had to purchase a longer ball mount.

Jeff, I was lucky, just a little surface rust inside and I treated that and painted it, but that Brasso did the trick. CJ

Thanks Bill, I didn’t modify the bumper in any way. Just remove hitch and install original brackets and you are good to go. I have a pattern for the hitch brackets if anybody wants it. CJ

I didn't do anything on Darth until I added the 3 lights under the tailgate. I had to lower the bumper about 1/2" I believe so the lights would clear the tailgate when opened (holes were there, just no lights). I even got the spare tire and carrier to fit.