Bullnose Forums

Bronco Roof refresh

Gsmblue

...they have a horrible gold tint!
I like those windows because they keep more heat OUT. But if you're getting "UP" to 23°F...
Wash it all down...
At 23°F???
Install new seals with contact adhesive.
I'd use either weatherstrip adhesive, or E6000.
Should I do something else?
The window gaskets don't use adhesive, but they & the non-adhered surfaces of all the others need silicone lubricant or grease to keep them pliable, and to prevent them from sticking to the paint. It also helps them seal because they can relax into position sooner. This photo album describes R&Ring the camper & windows:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72080/thumbnail/side-remove-2.jpg

Is the bottom that you are working on fiberglass or metal?
The only metal in '78-91 Bronco campers is the tiny "roll bar" in the rear arch, shown in this & the NEXT few pics:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/316405/thumbnail/rollbar1.jpg

'92-96s have a full steel cage inside the fiberglass, visible at the rear mounting bolts, and those at the top front outboard. It passes above the windows to reinforce the rear shoulder belts.

Steve, your pics reminded me the chrome trim is shot on my windows... replacements have been ordered! This roof should look nicely reconditioned soon enough..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve, your pics reminded me the chrome trim is shot on my windows... replacements have been ordered! This roof should look nicely reconditioned soon enough..

If any of your old seals are suspect, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using some 3m bedding compound. This material is what Ford has used for many decades to seal rubber gaskets to the body. Primary, I know of it because of the Mustang restoration as that is what Ford used. But it was in many vehicles and I use it whenever I feel the need. What is unique about it is that it is non-hardening . .wel at least for 30-40 years :) After that, it does get brittle.

If any of your old seals are suspect, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using some 3m bedding compound. This material is what Ford has used for many decades to seal rubber gaskets to the body. Primary, I know of it because of the Mustang restoration as that is what Ford used. But it was in many vehicles and I use it whenever I feel the need. What is unique about it is that it is non-hardening . .wel at least for 30-40 years :) After that, it does get brittle.

Finished cleaning up all the old gunk as best I could. I pulled the broken side window, I was not very careful as it was already busted, would have come out easier with some lubrication!

I will pull the other window tomorrow (carefully) and the 2 good windows from the spare top.

All the seals around the windows look really good. I will clean and lube them anyways.

Hopefully I can paint tomorrow.... then I can reassemble on Friday.. this is taking longer than I though!

Rain due on sat night...

Finished cleaning up all the old gunk as best I could. I pulled the broken side window, I was not very careful as it was already busted, would have come out easier with some lubrication!

I will pull the other window tomorrow (carefully) and the 2 good windows from the spare top.

All the seals around the windows look really good. I will clean and lube them anyways.

Hopefully I can paint tomorrow.... then I can reassemble on Friday.. this is taking longer than I though!

Rain due on sat night...

It always takes at least twice as long as I think it will - even when I allow extra time. But, when the job is done it sure feels good. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Rain due on sat night...

I pulled the second window out of the top. It cracked! Grrr...

This made me really nervous about pulling the 2 good windows from the donor roof.. I had used a lot of soapy water and all that stuff, but I think my technique was poor, despite following the advice from Steve..

So, I picked up my can of silicone spray and my curved pick, put the donor roof on end and went to work on lubricating those pesky seals!

I got through a fair about of silicone spray, worked it well into the rubber seals, down to the fiberglass. This worked well as both windows popped out without an issue! They have the rubber trim without the chrome insert, the original roof has the seals with the chrome insert. I have ordered the chrome insert....

With the donor glass safely lent up against the house, covered in silicone spray! I moved back to the original roof. I dumped 2 cans of Rustoleum on it, hardly made any coverage.... The wife is grabbing 3 more for me today..

The replacement chrome inserts arrive on Monday, so I think I can still get the roof painted today and the seals on tomorrow morning before the rain comes tomorrow PM/Sunday AM... I think I will just plastic bag the windows until the replacement chrome strip arrives, then on Monday I can clean up the windows and put them in... with a lot more silicone!

Here is a pic after 2 cans of rustoleum, you can clearly see the areas that need more coverage..

IMG_0629.jpg.6620bf146bffcf7f58a1e501f3bed13b.jpg

I pulled the second window out of the top. It cracked! Grrr...

This made me really nervous about pulling the 2 good windows from the donor roof.. I had used a lot of soapy water and all that stuff, but I think my technique was poor, despite following the advice from Steve..

So, I picked up my can of silicone spray and my curved pick, put the donor roof on end and went to work on lubricating those pesky seals!

I got through a fair about of silicone spray, worked it well into the rubber seals, down to the fiberglass. This worked well as both windows popped out without an issue! They have the rubber trim without the chrome insert, the original roof has the seals with the chrome insert. I have ordered the chrome insert....

With the donor glass safely lent up against the house, covered in silicone spray! I moved back to the original roof. I dumped 2 cans of Rustoleum on it, hardly made any coverage.... The wife is grabbing 3 more for me today..

The replacement chrome inserts arrive on Monday, so I think I can still get the roof painted today and the seals on tomorrow morning before the rain comes tomorrow PM/Sunday AM... I think I will just plastic bag the windows until the replacement chrome strip arrives, then on Monday I can clean up the windows and put them in... with a lot more silicone!

Here is a pic after 2 cans of rustoleum, you can clearly see the areas that need more coverage..

Bummer! Do you have to replace the cracked window?

On the chrome piece, is it the lock like on the sliding rear window? If so, hold the windows be put in without the lock?

As for the paint, it is thin but surely 3 more cans will fix that.

Bummer! Do you have to replace the cracked window?

On the chrome piece, is it the lock like on the sliding rear window? If so, hold the windows be put in without the lock?

As for the paint, it is thin but surely 3 more cans will fix that.

donor roof had 2 good windows, I got those liberated, so all good.

And yes, it is the lock type so I will wait for the replacement strip to arrive before putting the windows in, should be monday.... I still plan on putting the roof on tomorrow and add the windows later..

Never ending..

donor roof had 2 good windows, I got those liberated, so all good.

And yes, it is the lock type so I will wait for the replacement strip to arrive before putting the windows in, should be monday.... I still plan on putting the roof on tomorrow and add the windows later..

Never ending..

More onion rings. :nabble_smiley_wink: