Bullnose Forums

Bronco Roof refresh

Gsmblue

I'm tempted to ask if that's why the top's been off, but won't. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Right. Got the roof done, here are a few lessons I learnt.

1. When removing the roof it is easier with some one helping!

2. If replacing the weather stripping on the roof, a stripe off wheel is priceless.

3. If using white paint to repaint, you will need more than you think. I got through 5 cans would happily dump 2 more on her...

4. Clean the inside while it is off. I am regretting not painting the inside... next year maybe.

5. If you are removing the side windows, use a pick to pull the seals away from the fiber glass and spray silicone lube in there before pushing the window out.

6. If replacing the chrome striping, do this before putting the seal in the roof. To get the metal corner tabs in, seat the inside into the rubber first, then bend the outer pointy bit down, flexing the rubber down and it will just pop in. Then insert the new chrome strip in to the metal piece...

7. When installing the window, use the rope technique.

8. Use silicone lube before putting the rope in the rubber. It helps the rope move and the seal to seat. I did this on the second window... it was easier!

There we go!

405D1399-F4BE-4E0B-80A8-297E816FBC4B.jpeg.96d5f7e3965611b4bce516ce1f82ca68.jpeg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right. Got the roof done, here are a few lessons I learnt.

1. When removing the roof it is easier with some one helping!

2. If replacing the weather stripping on the roof, a stripe off wheel is priceless.

3. If using white paint to repaint, you will need more than you think. I got through 5 cans would happily dump 2 more on her...

4. Clean the inside while it is off. I am regretting not painting the inside... next year maybe.

5. If you are removing the side windows, use a pick to pull the seals away from the fiber glass and spray silicone lube in there before pushing the window out.

6. If replacing the chrome striping, do this before putting the seal in the roof. To get the metal corner tabs in, seat the inside into the rubber first, then bend the outer pointy bit down, flexing the rubber down and it will just pop in. Then insert the new chrome strip in to the metal piece...

7. When installing the window, use the rope technique.

8. Use silicone lube before putting the rope in the rubber. It helps the rope move and the seal to seat. I did this on the second window... it was easier!

There we go!

Good lessons to know. And boy, does it look good! :nabble_smiley_good: Just in time for the cold weather to hit?

Looks lots better. Are you still going to pull the tint off?

The tint actually looks ok now the windows are in. Especially as she has just been through a car wash.. AND DID NOT LEAK!!!!

No point fixing something that is not broken!

I knew I forgot something.

I have a missing trim clip and I have no idea what it is called or where to find one.

When I re-installed the roof I also installed the trim pieces that cover the B pillar and the bottom of the roof join under the side windows. These trim pieces are held on with trim screws that go into a metal bracket that is held in place by the roof retaining screws. I have 1 of these brackets missing. the one that is on the passenger side at the very back.

It is item 6 in this diagram. Everywhere I look I can see references to the later Broncos and these brackets with larger holes for plastic trim clips, not the ones fort eh 80-86 Bronco that used trim screws.

r8389c.gif.93332f8b35569bdb3869508ade3de2d2.gif

Any help appreciated!

I knew I forgot something.

I have a missing trim clip and I have no idea what it is called or where to find one.

When I re-installed the roof I also installed the trim pieces that cover the B pillar and the bottom of the roof join under the side windows. These trim pieces are held on with trim screws that go into a metal bracket that is held in place by the roof retaining screws. I have 1 of these brackets missing. the one that is on the passenger side at the very back.

It is item 6 in this diagram. Everywhere I look I can see references to the later Broncos and these brackets with larger holes for plastic trim clips, not the ones fort eh 80-86 Bronco that used trim screws.

Any help appreciated!

That's an UGLY illustration. Is your part in this one? If so, which one?

(I need to get this on the website.... Oh wait, it is: Interior/Interior Trim and the Bronco tab)

Bronco_Trim.thumb.jpg.0ab1e36227535d25bb9235a89027ce36.jpg