Bullnose Forums

86 460 fuel filter

Hey guys, I’m working on my 86’ 460 F350 4x4 C6. There are lots of things on this truck that have been heavily back yard modified. It starts and runs well. But seems to have some symptoms of low fuel pressure at higher (above 3,000) RPM’s. At some point somebody added a Fram HPG-1 fuel filter canister, with all braided line. A holley carb that I think is a 750. While also eliminating the old factory hot fuel return line setup. It has the factory dual tank fuel pumps. I’m wondering if I can just eliminate all the frame fuel filter lines. Get a Wix in line filter and run the line to that?

Thank You!

First question, does your truck have the "hot fuel handling package"? It consists of two 6 psi in-tank pumps, a 6 port motor operated tank selector valve and a vapor separator on the fuel line in front of the carburetor.

The original "fuel filter" was a fine mesh screen in the carburetor inlet fitting, the Fram HPG-1 filter may be too much restriction for the system as the pumps are only specified for 4.3 psi. The other item, the suction "socks" in the tanks may be clogged or collapsed after 37 years.

First question, does your truck have the "hot fuel handling package"? It consists of two 6 psi in-tank pumps, a 6 port motor operated tank selector valve and a vapor separator on the fuel line in front of the carburetor.

The original "fuel filter" was a fine mesh screen in the carburetor inlet fitting, the Fram HPG-1 filter may be too much restriction for the system as the pumps are only specified for 4.3 psi. The other item, the suction "socks" in the tanks may be clogged or collapsed after 37 years.

I “believe” it did. It has the in tank pumps, it has the 6 port tank selector mounted on the frame near the front of the forward tank.

After that, there is a couple feet of two factory lines. Then the braided lines and AN fittings start when the fuel lines leave the frame and go up towards the motor. Next in-line is the very old Fram canister. Then a plastic in-line filter. Then a blue anodized in-line canister with nothing in it. Then the line splits for the two ports on the holley.

What I guess is supposed to be the return line is now braided and plugged with a bolt at the motor. There is nothing left of the factory fuel system in the engine compartment.

I was thinking of removing all of the in-line stuff in the engine compartment and going with an in-line plastic wix filter for now. Also, is there some aftermarket thing I can do to make it have a vapor separator again? Seems like finding a factory setup is pretty difficult.

Thank you!!

I saw searching around in another thread that Gary used a holley return regulator on his in place of the vapor separator. I might do that too!