Bullnose Forums

Restoring alloy wheels

My recollection is they were called “aluminum alloy wheels” at first and that got contracted to “alloy wheels” as people are, you know, lazy 🤣

Thank you all for the very educational discussion, and thanks Gary for putting the writeup together. I'll keep you guys posted!

I sent mine to LKQ's wheel reconditioning facility.

Here are some before and after pictures:

These were on a Centaurus custom F350 that a local yard bought for the engine, a 1996 Powerstroke. Owner had his crew remove the tires and was going to scrap the wheels due to their condition, he gave them to me as sort of a Christmas present.

202.thumb.jpg.b2b63c43d27c904b0e2e59b4cbc42d56.jpg

205.thumb.jpg.9bf2e6241ea973003c19c26ef8c06fe4.jpg

207.thumb.jpg.2e138044c73985aa22b062b5da309ca4.jpg

208.thumb.jpg.ec1a32fffa1de43d14fe9d729f3cbb13.jpg

Here is what they looked like when they returned from LKQ:

DSCN0217_copy.thumb.jpg.40fd22e3f737961f38fdaedede14aeb7.jpg

DSCN0218_copy.thumb.jpg.e2b7da133d7d0713b65d82a636e0b354.jpg

DSCN0219_copy.thumb.jpg.b2562b49dff14576944254dbf6cfd44e.jpg

DSCN0220_copy.thumb.jpg.99c690dc2fa0499369ba2b8b5953c9cf.jpg

Here is the first one mounted when I had to replace a tire that blew out on me (Left outside dual) I went ahead and bought two new tires for the front.

729.thumb.jpg.a6469ddbd12bc1587cf5cf9b69ec4d8f.jpg

These are Ford factory option wheels manufactured by Alcoa in Richmond VA and are rated for the capacity of the trucks. I had to get all 4 center caps, the fronts weren't in good shape and the rears were missing (due to the thickness of the aluminum wheels, the front and rear ones are made differently). Notches in the center are where the caps snap in.

I sent mine to LKQ's wheel reconditioning facility.

Here are some before and after pictures:

These were on a Centaurus custom F350 that a local yard bought for the engine, a 1996 Powerstroke. Owner had his crew remove the tires and was going to scrap the wheels due to their condition, he gave them to me as sort of a Christmas present.

Here is what they looked like when they returned from LKQ:

Here is the first one mounted when I had to replace a tire that blew out on me (Left outside dual) I went ahead and bought two new tires for the front.

These are Ford factory option wheels manufactured by Alcoa in Richmond VA and are rated for the capacity of the trucks. I had to get all 4 center caps, the fronts weren't in good shape and the rears were missing (due to the thickness of the aluminum wheels, the front and rear ones are made differently). Notches in the center are where the caps snap in.

Wow! Those turned out nice!

Yes they did. I don't remember what the cost was but it was the last major order my son set up before he left LKQ. He shipped them but had them returned directly to me. They stayed in the boxes until I needed front tires and then rears.

Wow!!!

They look better than new!

Wow!!!

They look better than new!

Very likely. The gentleman who gave them to me thought that due to the peeling areas they were only good for scrap. Interesting back story, I was helping his late father with his "Chevstang" A 1967 originally a bare bones 6 cyl Mustang convertible. Pete had basically turned it into a 1967 Shelby clone, but with a late Chevy LT1, 4L80E and other GM running gear. He had bought a painless wiring kit to integrate the GM engine and transmission controls. He was having an issue with the anti-theft bypass aand his son, Donnie asked if I could help him. While I was working with Pete, the 1996 Centaurus dually was hauled in and when I saw the Alcoas I asked Pete what I would need to do to get them. He said "tell Donnie I said you can have them."

When I went to get them they were no longer on the truck, Donnie had his crew remove them, take the tires off and put the wheels for scrap. I recovered them from the scrap pile and after they came back from LKQ, went to Pete's and showed Donnie what they looked like now, he was amazed.

Here they are on Darth:

DSCN0632a.thumb.jpg.83bc9a34c793e44c92ed431f6018abc7.jpg

I've now put it on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Wheels & Tires and then on the tab called Refinishing Aluminum Wheels. Hope that makes sense.

Gary, do you think this rejuvenating method could also be applied to the air filter cover?

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Yes, and no. You can certainly polish up one of the aluminum covers for the HO air cleaners and then powder coat it clear. I've done that. But I doubt the decal would stand the 425F temp, so it would have to go on the outside of the powder coat.

Yes, and no. You can certainly polish up one of the aluminum covers for the HO air cleaners and then powder coat it clear. I've done that. But I doubt the decal would stand the 425F temp, so it would have to go on the outside of the powder coat.

I wasn’t hoping to save the decal.

A new one isn’t expansive.

So this could be a futur project for cleaning and protecting the aluminum air filter cover.

Nice!

I wasn’t hoping to save the decal.

A new one isn’t expansive.

So this could be a futur project for cleaning and protecting the aluminum air filter cover.

Nice!

Yep. Powder coating works very well. But you can do almost as well with a satin clear spray paint. And it could probably be put over the decal.