Bullnose Forums

Restoring alloy wheels

Has anyone successfully restored alloy wheels?

My truck came with the correct argent styled wheels, but I would like the chance to change things up and have an opportunity to pick up an inexpensive set of allow wheels.

I have not seen them in person but they seem to have some oxidation. Can they be brought back to their former glory? If yes, how?

IMG_0230.thumb.jpeg.d49dfc56211a8416b0b7ebd407ae90ec.jpeg

Here is a photo of his magnificent work:

Juan, the wheel in the photo [original post] might not be an original FORD wheel in that it does not have provisions for mounting the center cap. FORD used 3 screws... take a close look at the restored wheel photo.

There is nothing wrong, in my opinion, in having after market wheels and those could be restored or painted and would look clean!

Gary Lewis did an extensive review of the wheels he restored and it began in 2011. I have not found the completed thread, yet.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1026017-refinishing-aluminum-wheels.html
David - I don't know where that page went. It was on the website, so I need to put it on again. But in the interim here 'tis:

David - I don't know where that page went. It was on the website, so I need to put it on again. But in the interim here 'tis:

I've now put it on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Wheels & Tires and then on the tab called Refinishing Aluminum Wheels. Hope that makes sense.

Juan, the wheel in the photo [original post] might not be an original FORD wheel in that it does not have provisions for mounting the center cap. FORD used 3 screws... take a close look at the restored wheel photo.

There is nothing wrong, in my opinion, in having after market wheels and those could be restored or painted and would look clean!

Good catch David!

Good catch David!

As an aside, why do we call aluminum wheels "alloy" as if that differentiates them from steel?:nabble_anim_confused: I get that "aluminum" wheels aren't pure aluminum, they're aluminum alloyed with other elements. But last I checked, "steel" wasn't listed on the periodic table. I'm not trying to change common terminology. I use it too. But just sayin'...

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

As an aside, why do we call aluminum wheels "alloy" as if that differentiates them from steel?:nabble_anim_confused: I get that "aluminum" wheels aren't pure aluminum, they're aluminum alloyed with other elements. But last I checked, "steel" wasn't listed on the periodic table. I'm not trying to change common terminology. I use it too. But just sayin'...

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

My recollection is they were called “aluminum alloy wheels” at first and that got contracted to “alloy wheels” as people are, you know, lazy 🤣