Bullnose Forums

Hagerty Comments Re Favorite Carbs

I like the QJet, and had more trouble with a Carter than a Holley.

Luck of the draw sometimes.

I changed an old Bosch fuel injection system to Solex carbs on a VW Squareback and that worked out well.

Probably would have liked the Bosch FI if I had time, patience, manuals and test equipment.

Maybe you would prefer a Stromberg 4A?

I think that was on the family's 57 Buick Century, and Dad didn't have to touch it as that car RAN. It would cruise at 80 all day long with plenty left in reserve. So I never worked on one of those.

My '58 Impala w/a 348 had the Will Carter Four Barrel, and that rarely required attention, although I gave it plenty. (Learned the hard way that too high of "float drop" limited the gas inlet flow and the thing ran out of steam way too early.)

Sold the '58 and bought the '69 Bee, which had a 3310 Holley on the 383. Remember the slogan "My first Sony"? Well, that was my first Holley and I've disliked them ever since. That thing was a piece of junk from the factory. But we've had that conversation before, wherein you explained that Chrysler required Holley to supply them w/a very lean AFR, which caused them to backfire and blow out the power valves. Man, what a horrible introduction to a new product!

I think that was on the family's 57 Buick Century, and Dad didn't have to touch it as that car RAN. It would cruise at 80 all day long with plenty left in reserve. So I never worked on one of those.

My '58 Impala w/a 348 had the Will Carter Four Barrel, and that rarely required attention, although I gave it plenty. (Learned the hard way that too high of "float drop" limited the gas inlet flow and the thing ran out of steam way too early.)

Sold the '58 and bought the '69 Bee, which had a 3310 Holley on the 383. Remember the slogan "My first Sony"? Well, that was my first Holley and I've disliked them ever since. That thing was a piece of junk from the factory. But we've had that conversation before, wherein you explained that Chrysler required Holley to supply them w/a very lean AFR, which caused them to backfire and blow out the power valves. Man, what a horrible introduction to a new product!

It wasn't a 3310, that was OEM on the 375 hp (or 375/425 as it was also known) 1965 396 Chevys. That Holley ranked right up there with Chrysler's "lean burn" systems for being a POS. The strange design of the primary metering system coupled with the severely retarded static timing (2.5° BTDC on engines that the year before were timed at 12.5° BTDC) just didn't work with the cam profiles.

You could walk out of a shopping mall and hear the song of the Highland Park hummingbird, ying, ying, ying, ying, ying followed by boom, roar as a 383, 400, 413, 426 wedge or 440 cranked up.

Funny thing, the Holley 2 barrels Chrysler started using were far better than the Carter BBD 1 1/2" or Stromberg WWC, both of which were prone to warped air horns.

It wasn't a 3310, that was OEM on the 375 hp (or 375/425 as it was also known) 1965 396 Chevys. That Holley ranked right up there with Chrysler's "lean burn" systems for being a POS. The strange design of the primary metering system coupled with the severely retarded static timing (2.5° BTDC on engines that the year before were timed at 12.5° BTDC) just didn't work with the cam profiles.

You could walk out of a shopping mall and hear the song of the Highland Park hummingbird, ying, ying, ying, ying, ying followed by boom, roar as a 383, 400, 413, 426 wedge or 440 cranked up.

Funny thing, the Holley 2 barrels Chrysler started using were far better than the Carter BBD 1 1/2" or Stromberg WWC, both of which were prone to warped air horns.

Ok, my mistake. But it was J.U.N.K. And yes, it started with "ying, ying, ying, ying, ying followed by boom, roar". But the boom took out the power valve and from there the thing ran RICH! Loved that Holley. :nabble_smiley_evil: