Bullnose Forums

Contemplating new wheels and increasing tire size to 31"

Jon M

Gsmblue and Jim,

So the look I'm going for is basically the picture below which I pulled from another member's post. I've always loved the look of these wheels and I know they were stock upgrades from the base level.

my biggest confusion comes from modern tire sizes and how to understand them in the context of the wheel sizes I see posted. the wheels are stock 15" x 7", 5 Lug, 5.5" Bolt Pattern can you help me understand what modern tire sizes would fit this? Jim, you mentioned that those sizes are harder and harder to find, are there after market wheels that have the same look but in a more common size that is easier to buy for?

Jeff, thanks for weighing in on the speedometer considerations. I have been thinking about it and I'm going to have to address it once I get the wheels decided on and installed. if I'm not mistaken Gary has a page on this site with an Excel sheet calculator for figuring out what gear to go with on your sensor. since this is (going to be) a 4X4 once I install the transfer case, I'll address the gear situation. I know there's a lot involved so I think I'll be back here asking about that when the time is right. regardless, this isn't a daily driver and I don't have reason to drive on the freeway much anyway so it's not the crocodile closest to the boast, if you follow me.

Those tires are the Bridgestone KO2's, they are available in 31 and 33 on 15inch, so no problem there. You just need to decide how big you want to go.

if you want the metric size instead of the standard, I am not sure what the equivalent would be.

I don't think 31's with a lift will be enough for you and I am not sure if the pic you shared is of a truck with a lift so a little confused.

So this is the Bronco with a 3" body lift on 33x17x12.5 KO2's

220614_Bronco_New_tires.jpg.d2f170b31157cadb529f3cccd0efb32d.jpg

And the F150 on 31x15x8 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs

Eunice_in_the_snow.jpg.31ea810d6ddea6473f36257a87e15512.jpg

Hope this helps.

If it's any help, here is what 31x10.50-15 AT's looked like on 15x10 Pro-Comp aluminum wheels on my 1980.

IMG_5270.jpg.42de36d7b03a1623fa81b40b20d6bc0d.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg.881587682bf05cdf4bdd4fc786a3799b.jpg

The 15x10's make the tires "poke" out a bit, which I like on a 4x4 but not so much on a 2wd.

IMG_5149.jpg.39bafc86007fc317f3b52c3d282f31aa.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg.0ae2cbbe952404cac68c709709a70263.jpg

This truck wasn't lifted, but it sat pretty high for a stock truck. It had the quad front shocks and heavy suspension.

If it's any help, here is what 31x10.50-15 AT's looked like on 15x10 Pro-Comp aluminum wheels on my 1980.

The 15x10's make the tires "poke" out a bit, which I like on a 4x4 but not so much on a 2wd.

This truck wasn't lifted, but it sat pretty high for a stock truck. It had the quad front shocks and heavy suspension.

I love that blue 1980 truck with the Freewheeling package. My favorite tire for a 4x4 too. Where I live we get a lot of changing terrain, sometimes on the same trail on the same day. :nabble_anim_crazy: Those BFG All Terrain TAs are an excellent all terrain tire in my opinion. But like all "all-terrain" tires, a jack of "all-terrains" but a master to none. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Is it wrong that I like my stock (for my '81 Explorer) steel wheels with sport wheel covers? :nabble_smiley_wink:

I love that blue 1980 truck with the Freewheeling package. My favorite tire for a 4x4 too. Where I live we get a lot of changing terrain, sometimes on the same trail on the same day. :nabble_anim_crazy: Those BFG All Terrain TAs are an excellent all terrain tire in my opinion. But like all "all-terrain" tires, a jack of "all-terrains" but a master to none. :nabble_smiley_happy:

For some reason, I feel like the older 1980/1981 grille ALWAYS looks better on a Flareside truck.

Is it wrong that I like my stock (for my '81 Explorer) steel wheels with sport wheel covers? :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think your wheels look great on a truck like yours. But not so much if they were on a 4x4 Flareside. And vice-versa: I don't think the wheels on that Freewheeling truck would look as good on *your* truck.

It all depends on the truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

For some reason, I feel like the older 1980/1981 grille ALWAYS looks better on a Flareside truck.

I think your wheels look great on a truck like yours. But not so much if they were on a 4x4 Flareside. And vice-versa: I don't think the wheels on that Freewheeling truck would look as good on *your* truck.

It all depends on the truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

I agree with that. :nabble_smiley_good: