Bullnose Forums

Extremely rare white chromatic stripe ‘81 Bronco

Since you guys were discussing the Freewheeling Bronco's here I thought I'd post this one up...

Now, it is not a Bullnose, I know...but this is the 3rd or more 78-79 Bronco I've come across with this paint scheme in Canada, and every time, they're rusted into oblivion. This one just posted yesterday. What a sin that it died a harsh death as a plow truck...lol.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ottawa/1979-ford-bronco/1391355857?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It’s odd how many of the chromatic stripe Fords show up in Canada and the north east rust belt of the US. In contrast I have not seen a single one out here in the west. Regional buyer taste? Different promotion/distribution to dealerships? Something else???

Regional buyer taste? Different promotion/distribution to dealerships? Something else???

Could it just be coincidental with what I'm assuming were higher sales of 4x4 vehicles in the regions that get winter?

I've come across at least 3 of these dentside Bronco's (with this same color scheme) in the past 6-12 months. Every time, they're for parts...and barely even good for that.

Regional buyer taste? Different promotion/distribution to dealerships? Something else???

Could it just be coincidental with what I'm assuming were higher sales of 4x4 vehicles in the regions that get winter?

I've come across at least 3 of these dentside Bronco's (with this same color scheme) in the past 6-12 months. Every time, they're for parts...and barely even good for that.

True, but all Bronco are 4x4 and there are a good number of them around. Pickup 4x4 are common enough... you would think I would run into them at least once in a while...

Conversely I see a lot of tan/brown color scheme trucks and I’ve heard easterners say they almost never see them in their area. I really think there is market/sales data to this.

Conversely I see a lot of tan/brown color scheme trucks and I’ve heard easterners say they almost never see them in their area. I really think there is market/sales data to this.

I think there is a lot of regional market/sales direction behind vehicle distribution. Whatever it is, it is not even across the board for all regions, that's for sure.

On the colors. Although not as common these days, I remember being surprised when I first started traveling down south (or to the southwest) and seeing all of these white vehicles everywhere. I know for many years, seeing a white vehicle where I live would be a rare sight. (They're fairly common now however). Years ago, most people here wouldn't even buy a white vehicle....they'd show rust too quickly...lol. I think with the advancements in factory paint/body, it's probably not as big an issue as it once was.

My first trip to Florida, I was like huh? Why is everybody driving white cars with black windows?...lol.

Was discussing it with a Canadian guy on FTE a while back. Out west in Alberta the trucks were far more common to be Lariats and XLT's, while out here on the poverty stricken east coast, everything was bare bones single color with no options...lol.

I think there is a lot of regional market/sales direction behind vehicle distribution. Whatever it is, it is not even across the board for all regions, that's for sure.

On the colors. Although not as common these days, I remember being surprised when I first started traveling down south (or to the southwest) and seeing all of these white vehicles everywhere. I know for many years, seeing a white vehicle where I live would be a rare sight. (They're fairly common now however). Years ago, most people here wouldn't even buy a white vehicle....they'd show rust too quickly...lol. I think with the advancements in factory paint/body, it's probably not as big an issue as it once was.

My first trip to Florida, I was like huh? Why is everybody driving white cars with black windows?...lol.

Was discussing it with a Canadian guy on FTE a while back. Out west in Alberta the trucks were far more common to be Lariats and XLT's, while out here on the poverty stricken east coast, everything was bare bones single color with no options...lol.

Ha ha, yeah... my Jetta TDI is all black, and in the Arizona summer it about cooks your flesh off your bones when you first get in. It really does make a huge difference to have a white or light colored car.

And speaking of marketing Freewheel Fords... here is a vintage Canadian Freewheel commercial. Not Bullnose era, unfortunately, but we’re a tolerant bunch 😉

https://www.facebook.com/groups/443736922474997/permalink/1042711455910871/

Ha ha, yeah... my Jetta TDI is all black, and in the Arizona summer it about cooks your flesh off your bones when you first get in. It really does make a huge difference to have a white or light colored car.

And speaking of marketing Freewheel Fords... here is a vintage Canadian Freewheel commercial. Not Bullnose era, unfortunately, but we’re a tolerant bunch 😉

https://www.facebook.com/groups/443736922474997/permalink/1042711455910871/

That footage takes me way back. Cool!

• 10 months later...

It’s odd how many of the chromatic stripe Fords show up in Canada and the north east rust belt of the US.

Hey Jon,

I came across this '81 Bronco for sale in western Canada while surfing the net for other junk. It's a rust bucket, but the stripe package caught my eye as a Freewheelin' style package. I looked at the '81 Bronco brochure, and it said the Freewheelin stripe package was available in Tri-Color or Chromatic? Would this be the Chromatic version? You can tell I know nothing about these things...lol. Too bad the thing is in such poor condition.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1459043826&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b

_59_(1).png.0f809dd8e374fb67afd7783033b8afaf.png

I see it had some kind of a padded steering wheel at some point and time...

wheel.jpg.6f49c8e149385dffbd5915b928bc9d25.jpg