Bullnose Forums

Extremely rare white chromatic stripe ‘81 Bronco

It is very rusty... Christopher Lott would have bought it since it is such a “white rhino” but said it was just a bit too far gone.

That thing looks like it's well used up, but for $800 bucks there'd be a lot of good stuff there in drivetrain parts (if you needed them). It's even rarer in the fact that it's still got stock suspension and tire/wheel sizes. Most of the Bullnose Broncos I come across are lifted.

I'm not aware of all the paint and stripe packages, so I barely would have given the thing a second glance without you pointing it out.

I stopped to look at an '87 Bricknose Bronco for sale last week, but it was far too rusty for me.

That thing looks like it's well used up, but for $800 bucks there'd be a lot of good stuff there in drivetrain parts (if you needed them). It's even rarer in the fact that it's still got stock suspension and tire/wheel sizes. Most of the Bullnose Broncos I come across are lifted.

I'm not aware of all the paint and stripe packages, so I barely would have given the thing a second glance without you pointing it out.

I stopped to look at an '87 Bricknose Bronco for sale last week, but it was far too rusty for me.

If you look in the 80/81 brochures, you will see the Freewheeling package A and Freewheeling package B sport packages. Of these, only a tiny percent of the Broncos came with the chromatic, reflective vinyl graphics. Almost all of them were black. The vinyl on this white one is faded almost beyond recognition, but if you know what you are looking at you know it is one of only a handful ever made...

E8F0C051-1208-4F6B-84BC-4B44976FF0B5.thumb.png.fc4d80a69e4142e0999e30bceaf0d99b.png

If you look in the 80/81 brochures, you will see the Freewheeling package A and Freewheeling package B sport packages. Of these, only a tiny percent of the Broncos came with the chromatic, reflective vinyl graphics. Almost all of them were black. The vinyl on this white one is faded almost beyond recognition, but if you know what you are looking at you know it is one of only a handful ever made...

Here's the same page a bit easier to read from Literature/1981 Bronco Brochure.

Anyway, yes it was one of only a handful made. But since you are going to have to completely redo it anyway, why not start with a better one? I know it wouldn't be "original", but will an original completely redone be better or worth more than a better one made into a Freewheeling/Chromatic?

If we were talking about a Mopar or a GM with numbers that match, it would be one thing. But I don't think you can even prove from a build sheet that it was a Freewheeling package on a Ford, although maybe you can from a Marti report.

I'm not talking about deception. I'm just wondering what the difference in value would be as there will be a huge difference in cost creating or re-creating it.

1981_FreeWheeling.thumb.jpg.97b253bf10dd20ca625caf369136671e.jpg

Here's the same page a bit easier to read from Literature/1981 Bronco Brochure.

Anyway, yes it was one of only a handful made. But since you are going to have to completely redo it anyway, why not start with a better one? I know it wouldn't be "original", but will an original completely redone be better or worth more than a better one made into a Freewheeling/Chromatic?

If we were talking about a Mopar or a GM with numbers that match, it would be one thing. But I don't think you can even prove from a build sheet that it was a Freewheeling package on a Ford, although maybe you can from a Marti report.

I'm not talking about deception. I'm just wondering what the difference in value would be as there will be a huge difference in cost creating or re-creating it.

Gary, the Freewheeling packages were definitely recorded on the build sheets, and detailed in the Marti reports. So yes, one can tell the difference between an original and a clone. However, even Christopher Lott’s beautifully restored trucks do not fetch prices that reflect the rarity. So unless it means a lot to you as an owner to have an “original” one, you are absolutely correct about cloning one that is better to start with.

0213F528-527F-4EAF-9C5B-6AA9764BBBEF.png.7d19090efb2783e0e8650fe470df5604.png

EEBB1950-D4E5-42B6-A636-A31C835D69C0.thumb.png.35a60e812bd6caef1d82f3cad950d1d1.png

A56FCA60-2AEC-4A6C-9FB5-05C078384F74.thumb.png.8b8d74022be9e85459d63f10c1c48275.png

Gary, the Freewheeling packages were definitely recorded on the build sheets, and detailed in the Marti reports. So yes, one can tell the difference between an original and a clone. However, even Christopher Lott’s beautifully restored trucks do not fetch prices that reflect the rarity. So unless it means a lot to you as an owner to have an “original” one, you are absolutely correct about cloning one that is better to start with.

Yes, the Marti report does show it. And I'm sure that if you know what to look for you can tell from the build sheet - assuming you have it. But in my work on the build sheet (Specifications/Build Sheet Interpretation) I can't tell. Perhaps there's a code in Body, or Accent, or TuTone, or Scheme that tells. But since I've never seen a build sheet for a Freewheeling package I don't know what that would be.

So, if you know of people with build sheets then I'd be happy to try to decode them and see if I can figure out what it is telling us.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the Marti report does show it. And I'm sure that if you know what to look for you can tell from the build sheet - assuming you have it. But in my work on the build sheet (Specifications/Build Sheet Interpretation) I can't tell. Perhaps there's a code in Body, or Accent, or TuTone, or Scheme that tells. But since I've never seen a build sheet for a Freewheeling package I don't know what that would be.

So, if you know of people with build sheets then I'd be happy to try to decode them and see if I can figure out what it is telling us.

Since you guys were discussing the Freewheeling Bronco's here I thought I'd post this one up...

Now, it is not a Bullnose, I know...but this is the 3rd or more 78-79 Bronco I've come across with this paint scheme in Canada, and every time, they're rusted into oblivion. This one just posted yesterday. What a sin that it died a harsh death as a plow truck...lol.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ottawa/1979-ford-bronco/1391355857?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true