Bullnose Forums

Sway bar bushings replacement

I have a set of sway bar bushings that need replacement. I ordered Prothane 4.5106R but it seems like it's too tall for the bracket. I am replacing bushings that are part number E8TA-5484-DA. What is the actual height of the bushing when new? Is there a polyurethane replacement for it?

I am not going to be much help but looks like I used Energy Suspension 4.5103G on the 86 which best I can tell is the same height as your Prothane at 2.5"

I know I have my old bushings in a box in the shop but I don't expect them to be E8TA.

Are you unable to measure your originals?

I am not going to be much help but looks like I used Energy Suspension 4.5103G on the 86 which best I can tell is the same height as your Prothane at 2.5"

I know I have my old bushings in a box in the shop but I don't expect them to be E8TA.

Are you unable to measure your originals?

I measured my original and it is 2.5" at the tallest point (the protruding lip). Maybe I am doing something wrong and I just need to tighten it down with greater force? Here are a couple of pictures. What do you think? Am I using the right bushing?

IMG_8113.jpg.166c2fbb8d21d1e00069934795dcc879.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg.a4cab2e77f1bb074867439d5a9ad412b.jpg

I measured my original and it is 2.5" at the tallest point (the protruding lip). Maybe I am doing something wrong and I just need to tighten it down with greater force? Here are a couple of pictures. What do you think? Am I using the right bushing?

Looks like the bushing is too big, but can’t you just trim it with a chop saw or something? I’ll to

Measure mine at the weekend.

Your truck is as red as mine is blue 😂

Looks like the bushing is too big, but can’t you just trim it with a chop saw or something? I’ll to

Measure mine at the weekend.

Your truck is as red as mine is blue 😂

I figure I have three options: shave down the bushings (like you said), use some grade 8 washers as spacers or replace the mounts with these on LMC part 45-1439. I have to order a trim piece from LMC anyway so I’m leaning towards option 3. Anybody know if this is the correct part for the bushing or should I just gamble the $20?

I figure I have three options: shave down the bushings (like you said), use some grade 8 washers as spacers or replace the mounts with these on LMC part 45-1439. I have to order a trim piece from LMC anyway so I’m leaning towards option 3. Anybody know if this is the correct part for the bushing or should I just gamble the $20?

You said your old was 2.5" and the listing shows your new should be 2.5".

Is it?

Is so, what's different?

If not, you may have just gotten the wrong pack (I did on my first set from Amazon).

You definitely have options but I am curious how the new differs from the old.

You said your old was 2.5" and the listing shows your new should be 2.5".

Is it?

Is so, what's different?

If not, you may have just gotten the wrong pack (I did on my first set from Amazon).

You definitely have options but I am curious how the new differs from the old.

I've found a some of the poly stuff is simply the wrong size for our trucks, even though they are listed for 80-96. A bandsaw or belt sander (messy) should work.

Just checked the front bushings on the 86 and they are stamped 5308 just like yours.

PXL_20230810_001750054.jpg.ef525d68da7f9a6c77849920cfe66e13.jpg