Bullnose Forums

build or buy?

Techguy

My advice has been for quite some time to spend as much as you can when you purchase a truck - but obviously a properly-priced truck. You'll pay less in the long run doing it that way.

I say that because I've pulled trucks out of a field several times and it cost me more to get them running than what I sold them for. Because you can't initially drive those trucks there are always many more problems than you expect.

Looking at your list:

• wiring harness replaced: This won't be easy nor cheap. This, alone, makes buying another truck a consideration.

• brakes (in progress): Not terribly expensive and the parts are available.

• floor pans replaced: Not terribly expensive - if you can do it. But if you have to hire it done it can be costly.

• window crank gear: Also not expensive and fairly easily done.

• all weather stripping: Not expensive, and fairly easily done. Plus, almost any truck you find is likely to need this as well.

• cluster replaced: Ditto. Not expensive nor hard to do.

• ac system: This can really run into money if you farm it out. DAHIK. :nabble_smiley_cry: And if your truck doesn't have all the components then that is another push to buy something that is running and, hopefully, has working A/C.

• weather stripping edges: Not sure how this is different from the "all weather stripping" above.

• windshield replaced: This is something you really need to farm out and you are looking at $200+ to get it done.

So if you can find a truck that has good wiring, A/C, and little rust then you could swap your 4WD onto it and not only be money but also time ahead.

I bought a '95 ranger (supercab, 4x4, 3.0) for $200. It sat in a forest for 10 years. Literally had to cut down trees to get it out. (Thank God the windows had been rolled up).

New battery, 3 bucks in gas and it started and idled.

Sure the tires were rotted out from under it and the clutch disc/pressure plate was fused together but I was going to replace all that anyways.

Still has factory paint on the bottom side of the cab and bed.

Ran into a few unexpected issues (radius arm mounts wallowed out) but at this point I'm into it about $2k and have a truck that would pull an easy $5k on Craigslist or FB marketplace (thanks rockauto!!).

Know what you're looking at but don't be afraid of a "project".

We're talking about Fords here, right?

I have a 1966 with the original diff.

And the original FX transmission with just new discs and bands.