Bullnose Forums

Revised Question

1985 F150 4.9 L single barrel carb. If carb has kickdown adjustment screw on throttle linkage and the kickdown rod also has a screw adjustment, do the screws adjust against each other or do you delete one? My Carter carb has a bent tab on the throttle linkage for the kickdown rod adjustment screw to adjust against. Most replacement carbs with electric choke, (Chinese), also has the adjustment screw on the throttle linkage. Has anyone had the same setup and what did you do? Might not be a problem but I need to know before I order one. Thanks, CJ

Unfortunately, (a) I haven't had a six cylinder truck since I swapped a camper special 390 into my 1977 F150 and (b) have never used a Chinese carburetor on anything bigger than a lawnmower engine.

If I remember correctly, the kickdown link has a fairly long lever behind the valve cover and the carburetor end only needs to move a short distance. One option, check Lokar's catalog, they build TV and kickdown cables for custom installation.

Worst case, I would see if the Carter throttle shaft will fit the Chinese carburetor.

I'm not trying to put you off, but without all the pieces of the puzzle in front of me, or a good picture of a Chinese YFA on a 300 with a C6 showing what contacts what at WOT, I can't really give you a definitive answer.

Unfortunately, (a) I haven't had a six cylinder truck since I swapped a camper special 390 into my 1977 F150 and (b) have never used a Chinese carburetor on anything bigger than a lawnmower engine.

If I remember correctly, the kickdown link has a fairly long lever behind the valve cover and the carburetor end only needs to move a short distance. One option, check Lokar's catalog, they build TV and kickdown cables for custom installation.

Worst case, I would see if the Carter throttle shaft will fit the Chinese carburetor.

I'm not trying to put you off, but without all the pieces of the puzzle in front of me, or a good picture of a Chinese YFA on a 300 with a C6 showing what contacts what at WOT, I can't really give you a definitive answer.

Thanks Bill, I’m not good with computers, sorry I can’t provide you with info and photos. I decided to purchase a carb and experiment with it. Served a 4yr Machinist and Tool and Die apprenticeship, worked a few years also in Machine Design, I’m sure I can work it out. I thought maybe someone had resolved this before and I was looking for easy way out. I value you guys input and I will bug you again. Many thanks, CJ

Thanks Bill, I’m not good with computers, sorry I can’t provide you with info and photos. I decided to purchase a carb and experiment with it. Served a 4yr Machinist and Tool and Die apprenticeship, worked a few years also in Machine Design, I’m sure I can work it out. I thought maybe someone had resolved this before and I was looking for easy way out. I value you guys input and I will bug you again. Many thanks, CJ

Once you get the carb in hand, see if you can get some pictures of how it fits with the kickdown linkage on your engine, both closed and open throttle through kickdown. If it won't travel all the way, as far as it will both from above and front. I can give you my email so you can send them.

Once you get the carb in hand, see if you can get some pictures of how it fits with the kickdown linkage on your engine, both closed and open throttle through kickdown. If it won't travel all the way, as far as it will both from above and front. I can give you my email so you can send them.

Bill, carb should be here Aug 4, so we will see. Thanks CJ

37BD7B3B-33E0-4834-8B50-3CE644394E7F.jpeg.a45a5001b389a419055dc8278d2ecbbf.jpegBill, I was making a mountain out of a mole hill, the short cam where the throttle cable connects is what works the kickdown rod not the adjustment screw on the Chinese carb.:nabble_smiley_blush:p A senior moment ? Over thinking is more like it. I did learn how to draw circles and make arrows but I can’t send yet without an email address. Thank you very much for your input. CJ

Bill, I was making a mountain out of a mole hill, the short cam where the throttle cable connects is what works the kickdown rod not the adjustment screw on the Chinese carb.:nabble_smiley_blush:p A senior moment ? Over thinking is more like it. I did learn how to draw circles and make arrows but I can’t send yet without an email address. Thank you very much for your input. CJ

w a v o s e at gmail dot com (take out the extra spaces and change the at and dot to symbols).

Sounds good!

w a v o s e at gmail dot com (take out the extra spaces and change the at and dot to symbols).

Sounds good!

9AC5D415-A8C5-49F0-9F16-5BE4F4C6ACE7.jpeg.78dc9c6418b6a9f55c26eb146e18c2ae.jpegSuccess! The circles are what I thought worked the kickdown rod. The arrows are what really works the rod. It is working fine for now. Got my fingers crossed. C J