Bullnose Forums

F150 towing

ScubaSteve

Oh yes, I don't know which was worse, trying to get the outside glass clean enough to see the vin or pulling the dash pad & trying to clean all the crud off the plate. The latter turned out easier as I realized, while cleaning crud, that the windshield was cracked and had turned cloudy. I never would have cleaned the glass enough to see the vin. Of course, I could have just broken the glass I reckon.

Sully

Yes, that info has been there a long time. And, lots more as well. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Pulling the dash pad isn't hard and makes reading the VIN easier. But if you decide to replace the windshield, make sure that the replacement is correct for a Bullnose truck. Not long after '86 the position of the VIN changed and many windshields are masked for the new location. But you can't read our VIN through them. So make sure you get the right windshield.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that info has been there a long time. And, lots more as well. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Pulling the dash pad isn't hard and makes reading the VIN easier. But if you decide to replace the windshield, make sure that the replacement is correct for a Bullnose truck. Not long after '86 the position of the VIN changed and many windshields are masked for the new location. But you can't read our VIN through them. So make sure you get the right windshield.

Only '92-up windshields have the blackout ring, and that's when the VIN tag moved. So any w/s with the ring is wrong for a bullnose.

Only '92-up windshields have the blackout ring, and that's when the VIN tag moved. So any w/s with the ring is wrong for a bullnose.

Good to know.

I had someone put a new windshield in an '82 and later was selling it. They couldn't read the VIN so I had to pull the dashpad and they read it that way. But many (most?) DMV personnel wouldn't be that flexible.

I just put a new windshield in my truck and the only one the glass company could get was the newer style with the black ring that obstructs the VIN tag. Does anyone know if the original style are available anywhere?

I just put a new windshield in my truck and the only one the glass company could get was the newer style with the black ring that obstructs the VIN tag. Does anyone know if the original style are available anywhere?

Well, I guess my 1980 f150 has the '92 glass I noticed that the vin plate is not lined up with the space in the glass for it. The PO had a receipt in the truck for a windshield install but I don't recall what it said about the glass used. It's not a big deal to me, here in Va I run it with "Farm Use" tags, no dealing with the DMV, ONLY Insurance.

Sully

Well, I guess my 1980 f150 has the '92 glass I noticed that the vin plate is not lined up with the space in the glass for it. The PO had a receipt in the truck for a windshield install but I don't recall what it said about the glass used. It's not a big deal to me, here in Va I run it with "Farm Use" tags, no dealing with the DMV, ONLY Insurance.

Sully

1987 is when the VIN plate was moved. A friend had a new windshield installed in his 1986 and they installed a 1987 up windshield obscuring the VIN plate. He made them change it.

On Darth, I discovered that if I wanted a newer dash, I was going to have to either cut the dash or move the VIN plate. I was able to find some hex head pop rivets and the lip are was long enough to move it over the roughly 1" to the left. I did that, but when Safelite replaced my windshield after I cracked it, they managed to damn near destroy the plate with their piano wire when cutting out the old windshield.