Bullnose Forums

F150 towing

ScubaSteve

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I found the info listed on this forum for the tow capacities but was wondering if its not listed somewhere on the truck.

Steve, the towing capacity is listed in the owners manual and is a combination of engine, transmission and axle ratio. I have mine and can scan the pages for you. Just not today, I have a memorial service to go to and will be gone most of the day as it is a 1.5 hour drive each way.

Steve, the towing capacity is listed in the owners manual and is a combination of engine, transmission and axle ratio. I have mine and can scan the pages for you. Just not today, I have a memorial service to go to and will be gone most of the day as it is a 1.5 hour drive each way.

I assume what Steve found is here: Specification/Towing. The simple info is from an '85 owner's manual, but I doubt it changed for '86. But I'd be curious if it did, Bill. Perhaps I need to update that page?

I assume what Steve found is here: Specification/Towing. The simple info is from an '85 owner's manual, but I doubt it changed for '86. But I'd be curious if it did, Bill. Perhaps I need to update that page?

Gary, I can scan it for you later, after I get back from Newport News. It would probably be a good addition to the site for those who do not have an owners manual.

Gary, I can scan it for you later, after I get back from Newport News. It would probably be a good addition to the site for those who do not have an owners manual.

Bill - Thanks. But before you go to the trouble to scan it you might want to compare it to what I have on that page from the '85 manual. If there's no change then there's no need to scan.

Where do I find the towing capacity of my truck?
You have to calculate it using your truck's VC label info and a formula in the owner's guide.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/692942/thumbnail/manual83bronco.jpg

...I doubt it changed for '86. But I'd be curious if it did...
This has some '86 specs, including GCWR, and the caption links to a camper loading guide:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/831131/thumbnail/towaxletrans86.jpg

P.6 of this brochure (which I think I still have) says an '86 Bronco could be equipped to tow 7900 lbs (which I think is VERY optimistic):

https://supermotors.net/getfile/795594/thumbnail/brochure86b6.jpg

BTW

My Bronco originally looked like P.5, but with a tan camper & black bumpers.

Where do I find the towing capacity of my truck?
You have to calculate it using your truck's VC label info and a formula in the owner's guide.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/692942/thumbnail/manual83bronco.jpg

...I doubt it changed for '86. But I'd be curious if it did...
This has some '86 specs, including GCWR, and the caption links to a camper loading guide:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/831131/thumbnail/towaxletrans86.jpg

P.6 of this brochure (which I think I still have) says an '86 Bronco could be equipped to tow 7900 lbs (which I think is VERY optimistic):

https://supermotors.net/getfile/795594/thumbnail/brochure86b6.jpg

BTW

My Bronco originally looked like P.5, but with a tan camper & black bumpers.

Comparing your '86 manual with my '85 manual that is on the Specifications/Towing page I find these differences:

Auto Tranny:

- The '85 manual shows an optional 3.73 axle for the 4.9L that the '86 doesn't include

- The '85 manual shows a 5.0L 2V that the '86 manual doesn't

- The '85 manual shows a 3.50 axle for the EFI 5.0L that the '86 doesn't 'cause the 9" had been phased out

- The '85 manual shows a GCWR of 12000 lbs and 6443 kg for the 3.73 gear, but the '86 shows 12000 lbs and 5443. Clearly the '85 is wrong as 12000 lbs is 5443 kg.

- The '85 manual has a 351-2V section which the '86 doesn't

- The '86 manual shows that a 351HO with 4.10's has a GCWR of 13,500 lbs and 5670 kg's. But 5670 kg's is actually 12,500 lbs, which is what the '85 manual shows

- Both manuals show that a 460/7.5L with 3.54/3.55's has a GCWR of 15,000 lbs and 5443 kg's. But 5443 kg's is 12,000 lbs!

Ok, I quit. Both of the manuals are fraught with errors. And I didn't even get to the manual transmission section. However, since the '85 manual has more gear ratios and engines than the '86 manual does I'll stick with it.

Comparing your '86 manual with my '85 manual that is on the Specifications/Towing page I find these differences:

Auto Tranny:

- The '85 manual shows an optional 3.73 axle for the 4.9L that the '86 doesn't include

- The '85 manual shows a 5.0L 2V that the '86 manual doesn't

- The '85 manual shows a 3.50 axle for the EFI 5.0L that the '86 doesn't 'cause the 9" had been phased out

- The '85 manual shows a GCWR of 12000 lbs and 6443 kg for the 3.73 gear, but the '86 shows 12000 lbs and 5443. Clearly the '85 is wrong as 12000 lbs is 5443 kg.

- The '85 manual has a 351-2V section which the '86 doesn't

- The '86 manual shows that a 351HO with 4.10's has a GCWR of 13,500 lbs and 5670 kg's. But 5670 kg's is actually 12,500 lbs, which is what the '85 manual shows

- Both manuals show that a 460/7.5L with 3.54/3.55's has a GCWR of 15,000 lbs and 5443 kg's. But 5443 kg's is 12,000 lbs!

Ok, I quit. Both of the manuals are fraught with errors. And I didn't even get to the manual transmission section. However, since the '85 manual has more gear ratios and engines than the '86 manual does I'll stick with it.

Thanks for the info guys. NC requires the truck to be licensed for its max combined weight. You dont need to license for the max capacity but if you use the standard tags I think its only good for 5,000lbs gross and if you get caught towing more you can get a ticket. My tags expire next month so I am planning to up the registration to the max capacity for when I do any towing. The truck does not have a tow package but it has an automatic transmission with 3.55 gears, front and rear sway bars and I added a hitch and transmission cooler. Not sure if they offered any brake upgrades for towing or not but I it tows pretty well the way its set up.

Thanks for the info guys. NC requires the truck to be licensed for its max combined weight. You dont need to license for the max capacity but if you use the standard tags I think its only good for 5,000lbs gross and if you get caught towing more you can get a ticket. My tags expire next month so I am planning to up the registration to the max capacity for when I do any towing. The truck does not have a tow package but it has an automatic transmission with 3.55 gears, front and rear sway bars and I added a hitch and transmission cooler. Not sure if they offered any brake upgrades for towing or not but I it tows pretty well the way its set up.

I don't know what documentation they use, but they probably have some of their own. If not, you can point them to either my page on towing or Steve's, both of which show that your truck's GCWR is 11,500 lbs.

As for brakes, at least in 1985 (I don't have an '86 brochure) there were no optional larger brakes. You can see that on Page 16 of the late 1985 brochure, as they aren't listed in the items you get with the trailer/towing package.