Bullnose Forums

No spark - where to start?

Been a week for the fleet. Today I got home from running errands in Eunice (1985 F150 EFI). I got on to my driveway and she just died…

I pulled a plug and there is no spark, but I can smell fuel coming into the cylinder.

What is the correct procedure to diagnose no spark? Where should I start?

I have done a search but I could not see the woods for the trees…

Thanks!

Hey Jeremy, you know much more than me about mechanic.

So following is a complete Dummy suggestion...

But it happened to Big Bro, couple of years ago. Since then, I carry a replacement Ignition Module in the gloves compartment.

Do you have one on hand? Easy to swap and see if it works.

Hey Jeremy, you know much more than me about mechanic.

So following is a complete Dummy suggestion...

But it happened to Big Bro, couple of years ago. Since then, I carry a replacement Ignition Module in the gloves compartment.

Do you have one on hand? Easy to swap and see if it works.

Yes, it is likely to be the ignition module. But when it cools down it may run again. If so it is highly likely to be that module, and if not then the pickup module in the distributor. Either will give the same results, no spark, when they fail and they frequently fail when hot.

Yes, it is likely to be the ignition module. But when it cools down it may run again. If so it is highly likely to be that module, and if not then the pickup module in the distributor. Either will give the same results, no spark, when they fail and they frequently fail when hot.

Looks like Oreily's has a module in stock, it is the Standard brand one, I will pick it up and give it a go.

I recall changing it before, something about the little screws was a pain to get to.

Thanks Gents, I will report back this afternoon.

Looks like Oreily's has a module in stock, it is the Standard brand one, I will pick it up and give it a go.

I recall changing it before, something about the little screws was a pain to get to.

Thanks Gents, I will report back this afternoon.

I want to pick up a spare as well. I know some people have preference on brand noting some are better than others. Is standard one of the better ones? Does anyone on this forum have a go-to or ones to avoid? I've got a Canadian '84, not sure if there are differences in the modules depending on year or emissions standards.

Napa sells them between $90 CAD and $200 CAD with 1-yr 20k km and 5yr 80k km warranties respectively.

Rockauto sells the Standard Motor Products LX203 (2-wire?), LX214 (3-wire?) for $80-$95 CAD as well as an LX203T (what is the T-series?) for $36 CAD. They also have WAI Global, United Motor Products, and WVE brands, not sure if these are junk or not.

Lastly, there is the Carquest (Advance Auto) version for $50USD so likely $80-$100 CAD.

Mine still works fine but I keep hearing how important having a spare is.

I want to pick up a spare as well. I know some people have preference on brand noting some are better than others. Is standard one of the better ones? Does anyone on this forum have a go-to or ones to avoid? I've got a Canadian '84, not sure if there are differences in the modules depending on year or emissions standards.

Napa sells them between $90 CAD and $200 CAD with 1-yr 20k km and 5yr 80k km warranties respectively.

Rockauto sells the Standard Motor Products LX203 (2-wire?), LX214 (3-wire?) for $80-$95 CAD as well as an LX203T (what is the T-series?) for $36 CAD. They also have WAI Global, United Motor Products, and WVE brands, not sure if these are junk or not.

Lastly, there is the Carquest (Advance Auto) version for $50USD so likely $80-$100 CAD.

Mine still works fine but I keep hearing how important having a spare is.

I think Motorcraft is the way to go if you can. I was just looking at what I can pick up locally. Outside of that I don't if there is a preference.

fyi: I just tried starting her after sitting all night, the engine spins but does not "catch". I will pop out later and pick the part up..

I think Motorcraft is the way to go if you can. I was just looking at what I can pick up locally. Outside of that I don't if there is a preference.

fyi: I just tried starting her after sitting all night, the engine spins but does not "catch". I will pop out later and pick the part up..

There is a spark-retard feature that is supposed to be in the ignition modules to help in starting. But not all modules have it. In fact, I have one marked Motorcraft that doesn't have it, although it might be a Chinese knock-off.

So normally a Motorcraft is the best bet, but Napa's Gold line is also said to have that circuit.

There is a spark-retard feature that is supposed to be in the ignition modules to help in starting. But not all modules have it. In fact, I have one marked Motorcraft that doesn't have it, although it might be a Chinese knock-off.

So normally a Motorcraft is the best bet, but Napa's Gold line is also said to have that circuit.

Pulled the distributor, changed out ignition module.

We are up and running again.

Thanks everyone.

The last time this happened I swore I was going to order a rotorcraft unit, I should check my box of parts, maybe I did get one? If not, I will be ordering one!

Pulled the distributor, changed out ignition module.

We are up and running again.

Thanks everyone.

The last time this happened I swore I was going to order a rotorcraft unit, I should check my box of parts, maybe I did get one? If not, I will be ordering one!

Glad you got it fixed. :nabble_smiley_good: