Bullnose Forums

f250 diesel 1986 low mileage

It certainly is a nice looking truck. But, again, the question is what you want to do with the truck. This one is 2wd, diesel, auto. The heavy engine and the lack of 4wd mean it isn't going anywhere in the snow and probably not even just offroad. A 2wd 460 is said to get stuck on wet grass, and that diesel must weigh about the same.

The diesel, being non-turbo'd, will pull LOTS - but slowly. And I've read that the low RPM of the diesel doesn't couple very well with a C6 since the torque converter is always slipping, and especially so at low RPM. So, while a diesel can be very frugal, I don't know that one with a C6 behind it would be. But, perhaps someone who has one will chime in?

It certainly is a nice looking truck. But, again, the question is what you want to do with the truck. This one is 2wd, diesel, auto. The heavy engine and the lack of 4wd mean it isn't going anywhere in the snow and probably not even just offroad. A 2wd 460 is said to get stuck on wet grass, and that diesel must weigh about the same.

The diesel, being non-turbo'd, will pull LOTS - but slowly. And I've read that the low RPM of the diesel doesn't couple very well with a C6 since the torque converter is always slipping, and especially so at low RPM. So, while a diesel can be very frugal, I don't know that one with a C6 behind it would be. But, perhaps someone who has one will chime in?

Good points.....

Solution...drop a big block chebby in it!! Lol....I gotta quit saying that!:nabble_smiley_evil::nabble_anim_blbl:

Very nice clean truck, but 5K for a 2wd C6 is not something I’d buy. Gary is right. The C6 really hurts the diesel mpg. On my friend’s truck going from a C6 to a ZF5 bumped the efficiency from 14-16 (empty) with the C6 to 19-21mpg (loaded) with the ZF. That was with 3.55’s so a 4.10 geared C6 truck suffers even worse.