Bullnose Forums

Gearbox, pitman arm and breaks

Remember that your safety relies on it not melting nor tearing. So it has to be quite robust.

Hi Gary, there seems to be the problem I've feared...the disc seems to be riveted to the steering column...

20230718_080025.jpg.c40a448c2a2538a9808db93bee4805b1.jpg

20230718_080038.jpg.937d1d52df48d67c9ae7acf89cef20c5.jpg

But I think it's necessary to replace it:

20230718_080111.jpg.2de627852a9583ca94f6bdbab36c1deb.jpg

Is there any trick to get it out?

Or do I have to pull the whole column?

Hi Gary, there seems to be the problem I've feared...the disc seems to be riveted to the steering column...

But I think it's necessary to replace it:

Is there any trick to get it out?

Or do I have to pull the whole column?

You can take the lower column out. There is a pinch bolt to hold it to the top column on the top and pinch bolt to hold it to the steering box on the bottom. If I remember correctly the bolts have to come all the way out. And the shaft collapses into itself, although usually with great difficulty, so you can make it shorter to get it out.

And you'll have to drill the rivets and replace them with bolts.

You can take the lower column out. There is a pinch bolt to hold it to the top column on the top and pinch bolt to hold it to the steering box on the bottom. If I remember correctly the bolts have to come all the way out. And the shaft collapses into itself, although usually with great difficulty, so you can make it shorter to get it out.

And you'll have to drill the rivets and replace them with bolts.

Hi Gary,

Ok, thanks. I've found a YouTube video showing exactly what you've described.

It's on a GMC truck, but all the same. Only the coupler has another part number. Maybe cause of the amount of splines of the gearbox.

I have ordered a spare part and will change it next week, when the part arrives.

Hi Gary,

Ok, thanks. I've found a YouTube video showing exactly what you've described.

It's on a GMC truck, but all the same. Only the coupler has another part number. Maybe cause of the amount of splines of the gearbox.

I have ordered a spare part and will change it next week, when the part arrives.

I have my column partially disassembled on my workbench as I speak, I can take any photos that you may need.

I have my column partially disassembled on my workbench as I speak, I can take any photos that you may need.

When I installed my Blue Top, I used the specific size socket Gary mentioned and a ½ drive torque. As I Torqued it, it snug up to the box right nice.

I changed my steering as well and went with Borgeson. Mine was sloppy loose on both ends, and the rag joint was riveted on one end, with bolts to separate it, but not completely (I am going from memory here so I may have that a bit mixed up).

Anyway, I highly rec the borgeson if you want to make it all like new. ALL that slop will disappear like Coke at an Al Pacino party. I made a funny. 😀

When I installed my Blue Top, I used the specific size socket Gary mentioned and a ½ drive torque. As I Torqued it, it snug up to the box right nice.

I changed my steering as well and went with Borgeson. Mine was sloppy loose on both ends, and the rag joint was riveted on one end, with bolts to separate it, but not completely (I am going from memory here so I may have that a bit mixed up).

Anyway, I highly rec the borgeson if you want to make it all like new. ALL that slop will disappear like Coke at an Al Pacino party. I made a funny. 😀

Ok, Thanks for the answer. I'll be with you.

A new shaft will be the best option.

Currently, the time limits the options..

So I'll stay with my old one.

Couple of other things....Make sure the steering wheel stays straight as you line up the blue line on the Blue top gear...IF you truck is not aligned, this could mess up the centering. That is, if aligned when you install, but the truck pulls right--redoing the toe WILL throw off the centering of the steering wheel.

Good Luck! You will love that blue top.

Couple of other things....Make sure the steering wheel stays straight as you line up the blue line on the Blue top gear...IF you truck is not aligned, this could mess up the centering. That is, if aligned when you install, but the truck pulls right--redoing the toe WILL throw off the centering of the steering wheel.

Good Luck! You will love that blue top.

Ok, I'll already have installed the blue top last weekend. Also mentioned your tips.

It's working fine. Only "soft" component left, is the coupler...I'll get a new one beginning of next week. On the 28th we'll start in holidays, driving to Zürich and then to Genua to get the ferry to Bastia.:nabble_anim_claps:

Ok, I'll already have installed the blue top last weekend. Also mentioned your tips.

It's working fine. Only "soft" component left, is the coupler...I'll get a new one beginning of next week. On the 28th we'll start in holidays, driving to Zürich and then to Genua to get the ferry to Bastia.:nabble_anim_claps:

Flying to Zurich in two months. Sorry I missed you. :nabble_smiley_wink: