Bullnose Forums

Gearbox, pitman arm and breaks

Hi, today I've mounted the blue top gearbox.

Everything works fine, so far.

But is it normal that the pitman arm is so far away from the box? At my old box the arm was very close to the case of the box.

20230716_164221.jpg.2b5da93e4e0c6527fe03da994884b178.jpg

I also have had the problem that the spring washer has damaged my pitman arm.

20230716_164243.jpg.e2765017a9a779a3b8a5a10a3d52ad34.jpg

Currently I only have tighten the nut only with 150 ft lbs. Haynes says about 190 to 230...I also haven't installed the spring washer by now. I have to buy a new socket for my 3/4" torque wrench.

What size do I need? Metric it's about 34mm or a bit smaller...

As it seems, my hardy disc has some play...

Which one is the right?

Type1

Type2

And how do I get it changed?

Another thing is that my front breaks still squiking with new pads...I haven't found a place for this clips and they weren't installed before...maybe that's the reason for the squiking?

20230716_170029.jpg.bfcef5629e1fea32ecf589c4f7085704.jpg

The factory shop manual section on the power steering box is at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Power Steering and then the Steering Gear tab. It'll have the torque specs, usually on the last page. And I'll bet that you've just not torqued it down enough so the pitman arm hasn't gone on the shaft far enough.

But I don't know which of those rag couplings is the right one. In fact, you linked to the same one both times. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

As for the socket, I'll go to the shop in a bit and see if I can figure that out.

On the brakes, those are the anti-rattle springs. You can see them in the illustration and the FSM section at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes. They are base part number 2B164.

The factory shop manual section on the power steering box is at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Power Steering and then the Steering Gear tab. It'll have the torque specs, usually on the last page. And I'll bet that you've just not torqued it down enough so the pitman arm hasn't gone on the shaft far enough.

But I don't know which of those rag couplings is the right one. In fact, you linked to the same one both times. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

As for the socket, I'll go to the shop in a bit and see if I can figure that out.

On the brakes, those are the anti-rattle springs. You can see them in the illustration and the FSM section at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes. They are base part number 2B164.

Hi Gary,

Ok...I'll check this. I also think it's not far enough. Buy I don't have had the right socket for my 3/4" torque wrench to get the needed torque to the nut.

.rockauto.com offers two types:

Link

Lares 204 and Lares 206

About the anti rattle springs: I don't know how to install them. I've seen them in the explosion drawing...but no plan how to install...I've tried it...

Hi Gary,

Ok...I'll check this. I also think it's not far enough. Buy I don't have had the right socket for my 3/4" torque wrench to get the needed torque to the nut.

.rockauto.com offers two types:

Link

Lares 204 and Lares 206

About the anti rattle springs: I don't know how to install them. I've seen them in the explosion drawing...but no plan how to install...I've tried it...

My sector box nut measures 1.295" across the flats and my 1 5/16" socket fits nicely. But that equates to 32.89mm so a 33mm socket should fit.

On the clips, go to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then click on the Front Brakes tab followed by the Disc Brake R&R tab. Figure 5 has a closeup of the clips going on the brake pads.

As for the rag joint, it looks like they are the same save for the #204 having the bracket and the #206 is w/o the bracket. For a buck more I'd get the bracket.

But, is the slop in the disk itself or the splines?

My sector box nut measures 1.295" across the flats and my 1 5/16" socket fits nicely. But that equates to 32.89mm so a 33mm socket should fit.

On the clips, go to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then click on the Front Brakes tab followed by the Disc Brake R&R tab. Figure 5 has a closeup of the clips going on the brake pads.

As for the rag joint, it looks like they are the same save for the #204 having the bracket and the #206 is w/o the bracket. For a buck more I'd get the bracket.

But, is the slop in the disk itself or the splines?

Ok...thanks Gary.

I'll buy a nut that I'll be able to get.

I'll look at this page and figure. Maybe it's the solution.

Yes, it seems so. The gearbox also has a slop inside. So it seems to be like commented before a combination of different sources of play inside the steering column.

Ok...thanks Gary.

I'll buy a nut that I'll be able to get.

I'll look at this page and figure. Maybe it's the solution.

Yes, it seems so. The gearbox also has a slop inside. So it seems to be like commented before a combination of different sources of play inside the steering column.

You'll buy a socket?

But the gearbox has slop in it? Or the steering column? Or maybe you mean the whole steering assembly?

You'll buy a socket?

But the gearbox has slop in it? Or the steering column? Or maybe you mean the whole steering assembly?

Yes, I'll do. I'll need one for my 3/4" torque wrench to get this nut fixed as specified.

My old gearbox has definitely slope inside.

But also the hardy disc seems to have.

It's only a piece of rubber...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Yes, I'll do. I'll need one for my 3/4" torque wrench to get this nut fixed as specified.

My old gearbox has definitely slope inside.

But also the hardy disc seems to have.

It's only a piece of rubber...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Yes, it is a piece of rubber. Or more specifically it appears to be the sidewall off a tire. Can you find something locally to make one?

Yes, it is a piece of rubber. Or more specifically it appears to be the sidewall off a tire. Can you find something locally to make one?

Maybe I'll get a piece of polyurethane to get better durability and stability...I've to check how I'll get it out...it seems to be riveted...