Bullnose Forums

1986 f150 body swapped onto box dually-- noisy red

n550jex

So i have a 1986 f150 single cab swapped with the older model (unknown atm) daully box truck fram with a 4.9l with a 4 speed manual. engines solid needs some tlc like usual. yet more getting the body resealed and fixed is my first step, how ever im considering interior swaps and details while its torn down.

so to start this journey im looking to put a 2010 dash in or if able to get my scaling down and enough conversion data for the cab interiors then im install a hand carved wood 2020 dash board in and even see if i can shrink it back, was thinking on a heater core and ac delete, and run a electric or belt driven comperssor and get the ac heater retrofits for race or vintige vehicles and slim dowm whats behind the dash for more speaker options.

Any advice and tips? i am looking at making a short throw shifter so i can utilize the middle console space if i run a two seater, so shit tranfer linkage design and ideas are welcome, i want too keep away from static shift or slap stick if possible and keep the original formation, sequentials are nice yet id rather do padle shift conversion with servos if thats the case.

As far as a 2010 dash, I have no idea if it would fit as the body changed completely 1997-98. I put a 1995-96 dash into Darth, but it also required the steering column and mounting changed along with the brake pedal support. The original 1986 dash is a built up metal stampings and plastic assembly.

1987 up the dash goes out or in as an assembly and is held at the windshield base by 4 screws into plastic receivers that the tabs for do not exist on a 1986 cowl and end brackets. HVAC system didn't change mountings, but casing sizes changed. 1986 with heater only will have no dash air registers nor ducts, with the fresh air vent option, the ducts and registers will be there.

As far as a 2010 dash, I have no idea if it would fit as the body changed completely 1997-98. I put a 1995-96 dash into Darth, but it also required the steering column and mounting changed along with the brake pedal support. The original 1986 dash is a built up metal stampings and plastic assembly.

1987 up the dash goes out or in as an assembly and is held at the windshield base by 4 screws into plastic receivers that the tabs for do not exist on a 1986 cowl and end brackets. HVAC system didn't change mountings, but casing sizes changed. 1986 with heater only will have no dash air registers nor ducts, with the fresh air vent option, the ducts and registers will be there.

THat is noted for I did notice a difference in the newer styles, i know i can make custom mountings since im having to repair rust and holes in the venting grille and nose of the cab where the wipers were full of debris and rotted out. while there i can mod the fire wall since i took the ac blower and cooler out completely, i intend to only run holes adn puncha t the time when i neeed them, sinc tho retro fit kits or slim lines look apeaaling to save space yet have somethig, as far as the dash goes im looking to get actual measurements( being away from my vehicle doesnt help rn since im out at my moms factory helping, yet i got enough cardboard to play with and can draft my design with reference and scale, i used a picture to get looks and some actuate deptsh since i do know they had a 8 inch screen and a 16 inch by 4 inch steering wheel.

i made a 54 in scale using 1:8th scale reference with a decet matching to start with, how ever i notice that body change does bring in a 62.5 dash lang since most sit at the hip and shouders bringing it to 66' inches,

i am looking just for side to side length to know what i need to scale, im carving the units out of wood so template mmeasurments off apearance or exect help even better as a guide, so i can fit it down to fit my 86. figured be a cool touch, if goes well im able to share my scaleign for you guys to try or make em for yall.

THat is noted for I did notice a difference in the newer styles, i know i can make custom mountings since im having to repair rust and holes in the venting grille and nose of the cab where the wipers were full of debris and rotted out. while there i can mod the fire wall since i took the ac blower and cooler out completely, i intend to only run holes adn puncha t the time when i neeed them, sinc tho retro fit kits or slim lines look apeaaling to save space yet have somethig, as far as the dash goes im looking to get actual measurements( being away from my vehicle doesnt help rn since im out at my moms factory helping, yet i got enough cardboard to play with and can draft my design with reference and scale, i used a picture to get looks and some actuate deptsh since i do know they had a 8 inch screen and a 16 inch by 4 inch steering wheel.

i made a 54 in scale using 1:8th scale reference with a decet matching to start with, how ever i notice that body change does bring in a 62.5 dash lang since most sit at the hip and shouders bringing it to 66' inches,

i am looking just for side to side length to know what i need to scale, im carving the units out of wood so template mmeasurments off apearance or exect help even better as a guide, so i can fit it down to fit my 86. figured be a cool touch, if goes well im able to share my scaleign for you guys to try or make em for yall.

i have no fear of custom mounts i have a welder and can fabricate comfortably i own 3 Harleys, 2 runnin and funtional and fabing the sportys sister, had to make new mounts and refab a 2 to one out the old strech of header from their cross shot duals, sound and behaves nicley.

as far as mmeasurments i need length of stock dash door to door with standard trim

ill be doing the doors too to match dash once i get the dash done to pull better measurments and not get to crazy right now cause i still have to do audio yet want to keep it open for later

and avg dept from ede to wind shield thats all

I have a complete spare 1995 dash I can measure for you. I also have a spare steering column/parking brake/left end of dash support I can measure for you. The brake pedal support changed twice, once in 1987 when the bricknose body came out and again in 1992 when the aeronose body came out.

The top part of the dash changed from the built up metal frame with plastic screwed to it that had I believe 4 self-tapping screws that the ends and speaker mount attached to. Bottom cross cab piece attached to the ends of the area and also over the steering column.

The inside of the cab changed very little from 1980 through the 1997 HD models, biggest change was the seat belt retractors, 1980-1986 they are at head level in the back upper corners of the cab unless you have a crew cab. On a crew cab, the front outboard belts have the retractor at head level in the "B" pillar (striker for front doors and hinge mount for rear doors). This means any front or rear doors will fit, but bullnose doors will not fit later cabs due to the lack of a recess for the retractor "bulge". Seat mounts for standard seats are the same, bucket and split seats are mounted to a platform that attaches to the seat mounting points.

I have a complete spare 1995 dash I can measure for you. I also have a spare steering column/parking brake/left end of dash support I can measure for you. The brake pedal support changed twice, once in 1987 when the bricknose body came out and again in 1992 when the aeronose body came out.

The top part of the dash changed from the built up metal frame with plastic screwed to it that had I believe 4 self-tapping screws that the ends and speaker mount attached to. Bottom cross cab piece attached to the ends of the area and also over the steering column.

The inside of the cab changed very little from 1980 through the 1997 HD models, biggest change was the seat belt retractors, 1980-1986 they are at head level in the back upper corners of the cab unless you have a crew cab. On a crew cab, the front outboard belts have the retractor at head level in the "B" pillar (striker for front doors and hinge mount for rear doors). This means any front or rear doors will fit, but bullnose doors will not fit later cabs due to the lack of a recess for the retractor "bulge". Seat mounts for standard seats are the same, bucket and split seats are mounted to a platform that attaches to the seat mounting points.

that is helpful to know so i stand correect from what you said no change much in the interior dimension down to the bare metal changed much wich is helpful so yes ill take that dash max width and length even a good depth. the clutch brake and gas pedals im not worried ill be able to fabricate any new mount or type needed, not to much of a concern since most is cable drawn am thinking on, im making it as analog as possible so i have minimum electronics to dedicate for aux systems like a hydraulic ram system for the bed/-split load on a single ram system so i have equal pressure in each cylinders and sound cause a good tune is always appreciated from any genre. as far as mounts and under frame im of no concern anything adapting wise will be custom fabbed by myself{ i want it pretty roomy under there for a in cab heater ac units they use for racing or 60s models or older with custom ducting so maintenance is less of a pain. and more room} or out sourced with sufficient data, im looking for rough exterior dimensions to make a solid dash unit, i can make the moving parts out of wood later due to the intricacy of parts to make takes longer live vent directions for now static is ok,they generally so well no matter the angle lol, its more for looks and shock and awe =WIN_20230713_18_18_02_Pro.jpg.120322ac041f514761a814bd1df5a97b.jpg