Bullnose Forums

Gavin82

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gary. Sure, please add me to the map. I live in Regina Saskatchewan, Canada.

As for the truck... the vin is 2FTCF10EXCCAxxxxx but it doesn’t really identify that it’s an xls. From what I’ve found so far on your website it’s seems to have a lot of the trim options. Is there anyway to know for sure that it’s a true xls?

Great! Another Saskatchewiener!

Greetings from Melville.

Welcome! And what a nice truck you have! Looks mostly original and most certainly seems to be a “real” XLS 🙂

As Gary mentioned, I am the one collecting XLS info and will share it here as a web page. I have yet to find anyone with an intact XLS build sheet... so if you find one in your truck please share! My suspicion is that it ~is denoted on the build sheet. It was named on the Ford 999 report (no longer available through Ford), and therefore should also be specified on the Marti report. Ford calls it a “package” in the dealer facts book literature and on the dealer invoice. This suggests it was more than just a trim level designation (which was not tracked by Ford), and more in line with the 80/81 Freewheeling packages which definitely were tracked and part of the build sheet. A Marti report should settle it if the build sheet cannot be located or is no longer readable.

What are your plans for it?

Welcome! And what a nice truck you have! Looks mostly original and most certainly seems to be a “real” XLS 🙂

As Gary mentioned, I am the one collecting XLS info and will share it here as a web page. I have yet to find anyone with an intact XLS build sheet... so if you find one in your truck please share! My suspicion is that it ~is denoted on the build sheet. It was named on the Ford 999 report (no longer available through Ford), and therefore should also be specified on the Marti report. Ford calls it a “package” in the dealer facts book literature and on the dealer invoice. This suggests it was more than just a trim level designation (which was not tracked by Ford), and more in line with the 80/81 Freewheeling packages which definitely were tracked and part of the build sheet. A Marti report should settle it if the build sheet cannot be located or is no longer readable.

What are your plans for it?

Hi All. Thanks for all the greeting and comments.

Rembrant - I agree. I like the look of the Flaresides as well… but had no idea that this truck was unique. I really don’t think any changes were done to the truck over the years other then the new mirrors that were pointed out. I also don’t think the running boards are factory either. (By the way, the truck you pointed out has already sold.)

Gary – I started looking for a hidden build sheet but no luck yet. I have never heard of a ‘Marti report’, I will look into this…

Jonathan – If I do find a build sheet I will for sure share to with you all.

As for plans for my truck… It currently will not hold an idle and when I tried to take it for a short drive it ran really rough and the brakes were soft. My short term plan is to get it up and running again so I can enjoy it. Long term plan would hopefully be to restore it… It needs a LOT of work though.

Hi All. Thanks for all the greeting and comments.

Rembrant - I agree. I like the look of the Flaresides as well… but had no idea that this truck was unique. I really don’t think any changes were done to the truck over the years other then the new mirrors that were pointed out. I also don’t think the running boards are factory either. (By the way, the truck you pointed out has already sold.)

Gary – I started looking for a hidden build sheet but no luck yet. I have never heard of a ‘Marti report’, I will look into this…

Jonathan – If I do find a build sheet I will for sure share to with you all.

As for plans for my truck… It currently will not hold an idle and when I tried to take it for a short drive it ran really rough and the brakes were soft. My short term plan is to get it up and running again so I can enjoy it. Long term plan would hopefully be to restore it… It needs a LOT of work though.

Gavin - The guys & gals here will tell you that my favorite saying is that these trucks are like onions. We just keep peeling them and crying. But, eventually we have a mess of onion rings.

So, keep peeling. And please start a thread on your truck. We'll follow along and offer encouragement and advice.

Ray - Nice looking truck. Shame that the radio bezel, which is rare, was butchered. And the black grille has been replaced, but that would be easily fixed with some paint. Beyond that it needs some work, but is in pretty good shape. Thinking of buying it?

• 2 months later...

Gavin - You are now on the map. And that shows me that you aren't far from Ray/Notenoughtrucks. Maybe you two can have coffee some day.

As for the XLS, I do not believe there is anything in the VIN nor on the certification label that tells it was built as an XLS. But if you find the build sheet it might. Those are sometimes found between the foam and the springs at the bottom of the seat, under the carpet, stuffed in the dash above the glove box, or in other seemingly random places. But in my work trying to decode a few build sheets I haven't seen anything on there that would say XLS.

So, perhaps a Marti report would?

Jonathan/FordF834 is pretty savvy about the XLS trucks, so maybe he knows?

Met up with Gavin today. First rate guy, even bought coffee!

That's a real XLS truck he has there. Looking forward to seeing more of it.