Bullnose Forums

Tailgate Seperating

My tailgate is separating from its self on both ends.

20230707_135702.jpg.5b2ac3b5ab707072a9c28a89f64f34a5.jpg

I've tried to glue and clamp it with 3M body panel adhesive. It worked but in about a week, it split apart again. I didn't do a very good job preping the surfaces for paint.

Anyone ever solve this? My initial thought is to prep the surface better and re attempt gluing. I'm also considering glue plus sheet metal screws glued in. Then when it dries, grind off the heads of the screws. Im trying to avoid welding as my welder is not easily accessible to my house. Thoughts?

Is it an OEM or a jobber one?

I had no luck with jobber tailgates.

My wife's father (who sold me Big Brother) lost the original tailgate on the road...

:nabble_smiley_thinking:

After, Big Brother had two jobber tailgates which ended to split, as yours. I tried glue, and then rivets. Even the rivets have cut and needed to be replaced.

I bought a really good shaped OEM used tailgate in a salvage yard, and replaced the second jobber one. Since then (more than 10 years ago), I have no trouble with the tailgate.

Is it an OEM or a jobber one?

I had no luck with jobber tailgates.

My wife's father (who sold me Big Brother) lost the original tailgate on the road...

:nabble_smiley_thinking:

After, Big Brother had two jobber tailgates which ended to split, as yours. I tried glue, and then rivets. Even the rivets have cut and needed to be replaced.

I bought a really good shaped OEM used tailgate in a salvage yard, and replaced the second jobber one. Since then (more than 10 years ago), I have no trouble with the tailgate.

I have a OEM replacement tailgate that has split like you have mentioned. Bought it from Ford in Circa 1997. (The original was stronger, but I wrapped it around a tree with it down.)

They separate at the spot welds, and can rip at the sides. Welding it back together is the best option.

The aftermarket tailgates are inferior to OEM and are even worse to this sort of damage, from my experience. Get or fix the OEM if at all possible.

I have a OEM replacement tailgate that has split like you have mentioned. Bought it from Ford in Circa 1997. (The original was stronger, but I wrapped it around a tree with it down.)

They separate at the spot welds, and can rip at the sides. Welding it back together is the best option.

The aftermarket tailgates are inferior to OEM and are even worse to this sort of damage, from my experience. Get or fix the OEM if at all possible.

It is original. I tried 3M glue once more today and prepped the surfaces really well. Hopefully it will hold this time.