Bullnose Forums

Exciting Day Paint Pickup and Bed Bolt Question

Today was exciting as I finally went down to pick out my paint for Shep's restoration. I went with Ford's Brite Blue and Pure White from that generation.

20230707_142731.jpg.b05c15bbfc11dd8d3fa19496482b6233.jpg20230707_114737.jpg.bac296c2a7e267b10b9d4e3b33a9ad59.jpg

I'm still doing some light body work on the truck but hope to be painting in August.

Question:

I am going to be removing my bed to paint when the time comes. Do you recommend trying to save the bolts or just cut them off and replace?

If replacing, anyone have experience with LMC bend bolts? They have a non OEM kit for $10 or I can buy OEM replacements for about $26 each! I don't need them to be OEM so I guess I'll go with the cheaper option. Can I simply buy carriage bolts at the local hardware store?

I love those colors!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

On the bed bolts, John/Machspeed went with OEM bolts for a later Ranger, as explained here. No idea what he paid, but I'll tag him and see if he will tell us.

As for me, when I had Big Blue's bed bed-lined I tack welded the bolts in. So if I need to remove the bed I can take the nuts off and raise the bed w/o having to remove the bolts. At least that's the theory.

I love those colors!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

On the bed bolts, John/Machspeed went with OEM bolts for a later Ranger, as explained here. No idea what he paid, but I'll tag him and see if he will tell us.

As for me, when I had Big Blue's bed bed-lined I tack welded the bolts in. So if I need to remove the bed I can take the nuts off and raise the bed w/o having to remove the bolts. At least that's the theory.

Good idea with the tack welding. No chance I'm paying $26 each for 8 bolts.

Good idea with the tack welding. No chance I'm paying $26 each for 8 bolts.

As Gary said, went with the later model Ranger bed bolts and had the top halves chromed. The thread that Gary left pretty much tells it all.

Will you be doing your own paint work?

As Gary said, went with the later model Ranger bed bolts and had the top halves chromed. The thread that Gary left pretty much tells it all.

I have read the thread thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm painting my own truck in my garage. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. This will be the first whole vehicle I've ever painted.

Do you happen to have a link to these bolts?

Yes, I'm painting my own truck in my garage. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. This will be the first whole vehicle I've ever painted.

I fully understand the above quote! Good luck in that endeavor and please keep us posted.