Bullnose Forums

Show & Dinner: Youtube, Facebook Live, Zoom, or What?

I like the "Zoom" idea for dinner.

I am not familiar with FB meeting feature, but Zoom is easy to install on various platform.

Requires an account if you plan more then 45 minutes.

Similar with MS Teams.

Just send an invite with the link, and the guests will connect when clicking on this link. Easy.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Any member who has such commercial account can host the event for you, even remotely.

Good to hear that you do not plan to play the IT Guy role yourself. If so, you're going to be out of the party, that's a huge job...

Edit: Your whole program makes sens for me. Am I ok understanding that Saturday will be open to any perso interested (not only members)? If so, I think this is a good idea.

You don't even have to install the Zoom app. Their page says:

Users can join Zoom meetings or webinars from their web browser and bypass downloading Zoom.

1. Locate the meeting invite link from your email or calendar invitation.

2. Click the join link to join the meeting.

3. If a pop-up window prompts you to open or install the Zoom desktop client, click Cancel.

4. At the bottom of the page, click the Join from your Browser link. Note: If you don't see this option, make sure to enable Join From Browser.

5. If prompted, sign in to your Zoom account. If you do not have a Zoom account, create a new account. You will be prompted to enter your name and the meeting password if it was not included in the join link.

6. Click Join.

So we can just post the link and PW on here and people that want to join can. Yes, we might get some non-members, but that won't be a big problem. As said, I have to set up Zoom for my Bible class so I know how to do that, although at the moment I'm using someone else's account so would need to set up my own if we go over 45 minutes.

You don't even have to install the Zoom app. Their page says:

Users can join Zoom meetings or webinars from their web browser and bypass downloading Zoom.

1. Locate the meeting invite link from your email or calendar invitation.

2. Click the join link to join the meeting.

3. If a pop-up window prompts you to open or install the Zoom desktop client, click Cancel.

4. At the bottom of the page, click the Join from your Browser link. Note: If you don't see this option, make sure to enable Join From Browser.

5. If prompted, sign in to your Zoom account. If you do not have a Zoom account, create a new account. You will be prompted to enter your name and the meeting password if it was not included in the join link.

6. Click Join.

So we can just post the link and PW on here and people that want to join can. Yes, we might get some non-members, but that won't be a big problem. As said, I have to set up Zoom for my Bible class so I know how to do that, although at the moment I'm using someone else's account so would need to set up my own if we go over 45 minutes.

Jeff, I'm hearing you will be coming to the show! Is this correct? Will you be bringing Big Brother? Hope to see both of you there!!!

Jeff, I'm hearing you will be coming to the show! Is this correct? Will you be bringing Big Brother? Hope to see both of you there!!!

John, yes, the rumors are true.

For me and Big Bro.

And my wife too. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Will soon start a thread about «Big Brother's Big Trip».

Thanks for the input - so far. And I'm hoping there will be more. :nabble_waving_orig:

But let me address some of it:

• Shaun - I fully understand that many, if not most, members are busy with jobs, families, etc. Which is why I'm wondering about doing something for the members that cannot be here on the Friday night when those of us that can make it are gathered. That's the Bullnose Forum night.

• Shaun & Jeff - We did the video thing a few years ago during the COVID lockdown, and it was a LOT of work for me. I'm looking for something that someone else can do w/o my help, and posting video on the forum isn't the easiest thing to do - although I could get someone up to speed before the show, just not during. So we'd need a volunteer to do this.

And in reality this wouldn't have to be at the same time as the show. Nor even coupled with the show. Maybe do this at another time?

• AmericanSavage - I really don't want to get too far into the technology. As I hope to explain below I'm thinking that either Facebook or Zoom will be sufficient for Friday night, and Facebook for Saturday.

• John - Here's what I'm thinking:

Friday night: We are going to be at our church building and there we have several options. We could use the youth room and its video screen and set up my laptop on either Zoom or Facebook, whichever the members are most likely to use. I'd open things with an introduction of myself, and then turn it over to someone else to have people come up and introduce themselves. Then we could have the members that are on introduce themselves, which we would see on the screen. This wouldn't take much more than the setup, which I do on Sundays to teach a class, and then someone to coach others to come up and do their intro. But it doesn't take any knowledge of technology to do this.

Saturday: This would probably best be via Facebook Live, and here's what Facebook says about that: "Facebook Live is a feature of Facebook that lets users livestream directly to the social network platform. Viewers can react, share, and comment during the stream. A recording of the video is also published to the page or profile so it can be watched again later."

We'd just have to have someone log onto one of my FB pages, Bullnose Forum or Garys Garagemahal, and then go around talking to people. Just carry the mobile phone around and talk to the entrants and do a walkaround of their truck. This wouldn't be me and wouldn't take any of my time, other than maybe discussing with the person how to do it and that would be before the show.

Does this make sense y'all? Please give me feedback, good or bad. :nabble_waving_orig:

I used to create Youtube videos with my 1980 F150, so I guess it's just second-nature for me and I forget that not everyone is tech savvy like I am, nor did they grow up in the digital age (although I personally remember when computers were as slow as a 302 pulling a loaded car trailer and rotary phones were still in my grandparents' home).

My suggestion was more of a user submission direct to the site format, which would not require any input from the forum staff other than creating the spot for the user to submit their videos to the site and maybe some slight moderation. But after thinking about it, this site is already drowning with info and media and sometimes slow to load with other glitches thrown in, so this may not be a good option if the Nabble server can't support it.

[...] and rotary phones were still in my grandparents' home).

Shaun, I'm pretty sure I'm not old enough to be your Grand Pa, but I still have one at home.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Just for fun, I admit, but still full working!

It's always funny to see younger asking to try a call with it and, after rotating 2-3 numbers, abandoning while saying "wow, it takes too much time".

LOL!

1D81CF43-7D5B-4158-BBA3-832DEFA2358C.jpeg.a254486b1fb6260a5e2e681157308448.jpeg

Shaun, I'm pretty sure I'm not old enough to be your Grand Pa, but I still have one at home.

It's always funny to see younger asking to try a call with it and, after rotating 2-3 numbers, abandoning while saying "wow, it takes too much time".

LOL!

It's always funny to see younger asking to try a call with it and, after rotating 2-3 numbers, abandoning while saying "wow, it takes too much time". LOL!

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n137842/1D81CF43-7D5B-4158-BBA3-832DEFA2358C.jpeg

Wow, that takes me back. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Being rural, we were one of the last places to get a area code.

"Operator, please connect me with, Enterprise 5, 2390. thank you." :nabble_smiley_happy:

I used to create Youtube videos with my 1980 F150, so I guess it's just second-nature for me and I forget that not everyone is tech savvy like I am, nor did they grow up in the digital age (although I personally remember when computers were as slow as a 302 pulling a loaded car trailer and rotary phones were still in my grandparents' home).

My suggestion was more of a user submission direct to the site format, which would not require any input from the forum staff other than creating the spot for the user to submit their videos to the site and maybe some slight moderation. But after thinking about it, this site is already drowning with info and media and sometimes slow to load with other glitches thrown in, so this may not be a good option if the Nabble server can't support it.

Shaun - I don't mind doing this, but I'm not sure it needs to be done in conjunction with the show. However, maybe I'm missing something? Please advise.

As for dial telephones and operators:

Shaun - I don't mind doing this, but I'm not sure it needs to be done in conjunction with the show. However, maybe I'm missing something? Please advise.

My only reason for my suggestion was so that forum members who can't physically attend the show could "participate" via a small less than 5 minute video showing us their trucks. I wasn't suggesting that these videos be played during the show, but rather they be posted in the same section on the forum as the show, so that those who are viewing the photos from the show (after it's over) can also view vehicles that couldn't make it. Basically a small extension of the show, but here on the forum.

But again, I don't know if the Nabble server can take that much more media, so after thinking about it, I'm not fond of the idea.