Bullnose Forums

Schematic, TACHOMETER pcb

Sully69

Dumb question time.... Can I use a newer tach on an older bullnose (83 bronco) without changing the pcb plastic at the back of the cluster?

Yes, as long as your printed circuit is the one that supports a tach. There are three circuits:

• With warning lights & no tach

• With gauges and no tach

• With gauges and with tach

As shown here (Electrical/Gauges) the circuit for 1981 - 86 clusters that will support a tach will be marked E1TF 10C956-BA.

If yours won't support a tach you can swap either the printed circuit or the whole cluster. Or, you can hard-wire the 4 wires to the tach.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, as long as your printed circuit is the one that supports a tach. There are three circuits:

• With warning lights & no tach

• With gauges and no tach

• With gauges and with tach

As shown here (Electrical/Gauges) the circuit for 1981 - 86 clusters that will support a tach will be marked E1TF 10C956-BA.

If yours won't support a tach you can swap either the printed circuit or the whole cluster. Or, you can hard-wire the 4 wires to the tach.

Excellent! There is a tach there, it just works less as time goes by... seems like a sticky needle..

Excellent! There is a tach there, it just works less as time goes by... seems like a sticky needle..

Hello again all,

Sorry I went away for a minute but I'm I'll & every so often I crash & am unable to do anything. I never expected this thread to get so long, wow!! Couple of you have offered up parts &/or whole tach's. Please send pm if the boards or tach's are still available. I bought one from fleaBay (against my gut instinct) and got a

non-functional unit. It's on the way back to the seller, unless he wants to refund a portion of my money.

Gary, I started going through boxes of books etc in the attic, stopped when I found the 1980 EVTM but I'm sure I have others. Do you want me to send any to you so you can add them to your site??

Sully

Hello again all,

Sorry I went away for a minute but I'm I'll & every so often I crash & am unable to do anything. I never expected this thread to get so long, wow!! Couple of you have offered up parts &/or whole tach's. Please send pm if the boards or tach's are still available. I bought one from fleaBay (against my gut instinct) and got a

non-functional unit. It's on the way back to the seller, unless he wants to refund a portion of my money.

Gary, I started going through boxes of books etc in the attic, stopped when I found the 1980 EVTM but I'm sure I have others. Do you want me to send any to you so you can add them to your site??

Sully

Sully - I'm sorry for your issues. And it isn't a problem for us if you go away for a bit.

And thanks for the offer on the EVTM. But David found me the two I was missing in the 1980 - 86 range, so I'll have the whole set soon. (But getting them on the site may take a while as EVTM's are labor-intensive to add. However, I may research new ways of doing that. Hmmmm!)

But might you have other than EVTM's in your attic?

Sully - I'm sorry for your issues. And it isn't a problem for us if you go away for a bit.

And thanks for the offer on the EVTM. But David found me the two I was missing in the 1980 - 86 range, so I'll have the whole set soon. (But getting them on the site may take a while as EVTM's are labor-intensive to add. However, I may research new ways of doing that. Hmmmm!)

But might you have other than EVTM's in your attic?

Thanks Gary, I've been dealing with being sick for awhile now, kinda used to it. I already went past the expiration date the doctor's gave so every day is a blessing.

I'm certain I have other interesting books/papers etc in the attic. It's a matter of finding the right boxes. When I got sick my ex-wife & daughter moved everything from my place to my ex's, no boxes marked, I have to go through them 1 by 1. I found the '80 EVTM in the bottom of a box novels. It's really really hot in the attic right now so may takes me awhile. I'll keep you updated, though.

Sully

Thanks Gary, I've been dealing with being sick for awhile now, kinda used to it. I already went past the expiration date the doctor's gave so every day is a blessing.

I'm certain I have other interesting books/papers etc in the attic. It's a matter of finding the right boxes. When I got sick my ex-wife & daughter moved everything from my place to my ex's, no boxes marked, I have to go through them 1 by 1. I found the '80 EVTM in the bottom of a box novels. It's really really hot in the attic right now so may takes me awhile. I'll keep you updated, though.

Sully

Sully - I’m so sorry! Every day is a blessing for all of us, but many of us don’t yet understand that like you do.

As for the literature, I’m interested but am in no hurry. Take your time and wait for things to cool down.

I have many tachometers from the junkyard. The general problem with the early, non-integral-circuit type (with the closed back) is that the needle works get sticky, particularly when cold. I have not found a solution to this. Anything I have applied to the needle shaft makes it worse, or does nothing. I have some sticky/non-operative tachs that I could send you as PCB donors.

I am also going to attempt to repair to very rare 80/81 4,000rpm medium duty tachometers with sticky needles by switching the PCB on a properly functioning 6,000 rpm tach. This will leave a couple PCB’s left over if you want to mess with them. I also have some working, integral circuit (open back) tachometer units if the goal is just to get a working OEM tach.

Ford F834

I like leftovers, my wife gives them to me all the time!

I spent the afternoon checking all the wiring to the cluster all was okay so I'll be glad to buy the leftover boards from you. Just let me know when and how.

Sully

I broke down and bought a tach on eBay. This means the one I have that doesn’t seem to work unless it is 100F outside will be looking for a new home. If anyone wants it I am happy to send it to you free of charge.

Looks like I will be swapping them out next weekend...

Gsmblue,

Tell me what you want for it I'll take it off your hands. I figure the more parts the better, I should be able to make a functioning one out of what I have & what I can pick up.

Sully

Gsmblue,

Tell me what you want for it I'll take it off your hands. I figure the more parts the better, I should be able to make a functioning one out of what I have & what I can pick up.

Sully

I switched them out today. New one worked, then didn’t, then did.... cleaned the main cluster and it all works great.

I suspect my old tach fully works . Send me you address and I will send it on to you for the price of postage 😎

I switched them out today. New one worked, then didn’t, then did.... cleaned the main cluster and it all works great.

I suspect my old tach fully works . Send me you address and I will send it on to you for the price of postage 😎

Thanks, message sent. Even if it doesn't work I can still use it to get one working.

Sully