Bullnose Forums

Essential Diagnostic/Maintenance Tools

• Brake drum tools - do these make sense to buy?

• Torque wrench - I've purchased a cheap $20 1/2 150 ft-lb but does it make sense to buy a nicer one for the lower range or is it not really necessary? Or would a cheap one for the 20-ish ft-lb range still be fine?

I generally wouldn't tell anybody to go and buy any tools specifically for doing drum brakes...I've made it from about 15 until now (51) without them...with ONE exception. I found a Snap-On adjuster tool about 25 years ago and I do prefer it over using a flat blade screwdriver, which also works.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tools-287-Brake-Adjusting-Tool/dp/B0002TKCQQ/ref=asc_df_B0002TKCQQ/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459367643706&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13170945145466470165&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000096&hvtargid=pla-680972388445&psc=1

They're cheap and you can get them anywhere...Amazon, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc.

I have a vacuum brake bleeder...a home made one, but it requires compressed air. It works wonderfully and I haven't needed help bleeding brakes or clutches with any of my projects.

Now...Torque Wrenches. Years ago I made a very expensive mistake using a 1/2" drive torque wrench and I swore it would never happen again lol. I now have three torque wrenches...a 1/4", a 3/8", and a 1/2" drive. We have a 3/4" one at work I can use if needed, but it's usually too large for anything automotive. So I now have a torque wrench for each range, and I really only use the 1/2" wrench for bigger stuff that's over probably 50 ft/lbs. For any bolts in the 1/4" to 3/8" range, ESPECIALLY if they're in aluminum, I will use the 1/4" or 3/8" drive torque wrenches.

I rarely even need torque wrenches these days working on old stuff with cast iron heads, etc, but I used to work on a lot of motorcycles and diesel Volkswagens with a lot of aluminum engine parts.

Great advice and discussion, thank you!

Around the 3/8 or 1/4 torque wrench, would the Princess Auto specials (cheap and who knows the accuracy) be acceptable or does it make sense to wait until I really need it and but a better/more reliable torque wrench? I feel like I know the answer is yes but I imagine it also somewhat depends on what I'm doing.

Also around the dremel, I did grab one on sale a while ago and haven't actually had a chance to use it yet because I'm just picking the project back up now with the weather.

And great advice from Whisler on renting from parts stores. I completely forgot this was an option and likely makes sense for something like a compression tester. I figured they are cheap so buying one isn't a big deal but its a good point that I'll likely only use it once so does it make sense to spend money on.

Around the 3/8 or 1/4 torque wrench, would the Princess Auto specials (cheap and who knows the accuracy) be acceptable or does it make sense to wait until I really need it and but a better/more reliable torque wrench? I feel like I know the answer is yes but I imagine it also somewhat depends on what I'm doing.

Also around the dremel, I did grab one on sale a while ago and haven't actually had a chance to use it yet because I'm just picking the project back up now with the weather.

And great advice from Whisler on renting from parts stores. I completely forgot this was an option and likely makes sense for something like a compression tester. I figured they are cheap so buying one isn't a big deal but its a good point that I'll likely only use it once so does it make sense to spend money on.

For us up here "north"

Canadian Tire has a good selection of loaner tools

I've not had a lot of need for my 1/4" torque wrench. In fact, I've not had a lot of need for any torque wrench unless I'm building an engine or setting up a differential, and I don't do much of that. But I do put my lug nuts on with a 1/2" drive torque wrench, although that may not be necessary. Anyway, I'd wait until you need one.

As for the compression tester, I don't believe in them. I've had them tell me an engine was fine only to find out with a leak-down test it was worn out. So I only do leak-down tests.

What is a leak-down test? You bring a piston up on TDC on the compression stroke, pull the spark plug, and thread the air fitting from the tester into the spark plug hole. Then you put 100 psi to the tester and read the amount of air loss that is leaking by the rings, valves, head gasket, etc.

There are usually two gauges with a small orifice between them, something like .060". So if there is leakage in the cylinder the pressure drops and the pressure delta is the % loss - if the inlet has 100 psi. And if you listen in the sump you'll hear any leakage past the rings; in the exhaust for those valves; intake for those valves; and you'll see bubbles in the radiator for a head gasket leak. In fact, I've found cracked heads by hearing the sound of leaking air in an adjacent cylinder.

Yes, it does require compressed air, but not a lot. And you can see the cost of several different kits here at Amazon, although I'm not saying those are the ones to buy.

I used to get all the tools that needed it calibrated where I used to work. Surprising to me the torque wrenches from Snap On, Mac, Craftsman and some Chineseium (if we had one we used on the aircraft, our boss would let us calibrate them), all were in tolerance.

I think you would be good with one from Princess.

I'm like Gary, I use them on things like head bolts and such, and like to use them on wheel nuts.