Bullnose Forums

Offenhauser and holley 390 orientation

First, if the manifold is the dual port style, the primaries should feed the smaller passages. Other than that, I always preferred the primaries outboard on an in-line engine.

We had a boy that worked for us at Preston Carburetion. He had a Chevy pickup with a 250 ci 6. He got a wild hair, bought a two 4 barrel intake and wanted some carburetors for it. I handed him two Stromberg 4 barrels from early 50s Buicks. They actually ran pretty good sideways on the engine.

First, if the manifold is the dual port style, the primaries should feed the smaller passages. Other than that, I always preferred the primaries outboard on an in-line engine.

We had a boy that worked for us at Preston Carburetion. He had a Chevy pickup with a 250 ci 6. He got a wild hair, bought a two 4 barrel intake and wanted some carburetors for it. I handed him two Stromberg 4 barrels from early 50s Buicks. They actually ran pretty good sideways on the engine.

Sorry.. it is the Offy Dual port intake

How to tell the smaller passages on the intake. ??

Sorry.. it is the Offy Dual port intake

How to tell the smaller passages on the intake. ??

If you look at the head face of the intake, unless they have changed since I had one on my 260, the ports are roughly 1/3 - 2/3 with a divider across them. On the V8 ones the primary barrels connected to the smaller passages. Here is a picture of one with a Holley (unknown size) on it, note the primary barrels are outboard.

Offenhauser_intake_and_Holley.thumb.jpg.efdd30dc2d45dc3eb232b6039525b2a2.jpg

If you look at the head face of the intake, unless they have changed since I had one on my 260, the ports are roughly 1/3 - 2/3 with a divider across them. On the V8 ones the primary barrels connected to the smaller passages. Here is a picture of one with a Holley (unknown size) on it, note the primary barrels are outboard.

in that orientation... my throttle linkage hits the intake...

Are you using a spacer?

The Offy "C" intake runs the carb in the "standard" direction. With it my linkage is fine with a 1" spacer; not sure if the linkage would drag the top of the intake without it. Interesting info.

Are you using a spacer?

The Offy "C" intake runs the carb in the "standard" direction. With it my linkage is fine with a 1" spacer; not sure if the linkage would drag the top of the intake without it. Interesting info.

no spacer, but will get one and try

That is probably because Holley decided a number of years ago to put "universal" (Chevrolet style) throttle levers on their carbs. The "Powerglide" tail hangs down in the way on an in-line engine.

That is probably because Holley decided a number of years ago to put "universal" (Chevrolet style) throttle levers on their carbs. The "Powerglide" tail hangs down in the way on an in-line engine.

It's not just Holley; just checked my Edelbrock AVS, and without a spacer, it drags a runner too - as well as possibly hits that manifold bolt.

Linkage.jpg.5ac00c761d007e3c3e850e0e17a9b20d.jpg