Bullnose Forum

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

3 hours ago, ReneH said:

I think my problem is the motor itself. You may remember, that I have to use a hammer to get the motor work again in our summer holidays...

OK. I have no problem to replace the motor...but I have no source for them...

If you have a link?🙃

Does an auto parts store in the US work for you or do you need an easier source to get it to you?

https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/window-lift-motor/p/aci-auto-window-lift-motor-83394/972610_0_0

Hey, thanks! With this article number, I've found it at rockauto.com...

I will order three, for all windows. When changing the motor, I also will overhaul the attached gearbox. I've found some videos on YouTube about this and I will add a piece of silicone like said here to soften the start...

6 hours ago, ReneH said:

I've found it at rockauto.com...

Which part did you find on Rockauto ? 

I have always trusted Jeff's bronco graveyard part numbers. Dorman 742-251 was a great fit on my 78 Bronco. Supposedly works 80-96 also...

Amazon.com: Dorman 742-251 Power Window Lift Motor Compatible with Select Models : Automotive

1980-1996 Ford Bronco Tailgate Window Motor-Broncograveyard.com

On 10/4/2024 at 3:45 PM, viven44 said:

Which part did you find on Rockauto ? 

I have always trusted Jeff's bronco graveyard part numbers. Dorman 742-251 was a great fit on my 78 Bronco. Supposedly works 80-96 also...

Amazon.com: Dorman 742-251 Power Window Lift Motor Compatible with Select Models : Automotive

1980-1996 Ford Bronco Tailgate Window Motor-Broncograveyard.com

The window motor grumpin recommended to me...

By the way...before I order three of these...the motors for the tailgate window and the side windows are the same!?!?!?

8 minutes ago, ReneH said:

The window motor grumpin recommended to me...

By the way...before I order three of these...the motors for the tailgate window and the side windows are the same!?!?!?

Maybe same in some cases not all, if you browse this 'catalog' you will see applicable parts. It shows the left door has a different part number. Tailgate and right door may be same.

Assuming it is for your 86 Bronco

Door parts

Left door - Manufacturer Part Number742250

Right door - Manufacturer Part Number742-251

Door Windows,Motors & Parts-Broncograveyard.com

Tailgate parts

Manufacturer Part NumberE3AZ-5423394-A,742-251

Ford Bronco Tailgates and Tailgate Parts for Sale - 1983 to 1996 Early Broncos (broncograveyard.com)

While you are at it you may also want to check the condition of the inner glass channel. I took out the glass this morning and lathered up  the horizontal track (riding on a plastic bushing) in some white lithium grease, replaced it with new glass channel and it has made the biggest improvement in window movement. Of all the broncos I’ve owned this one goes up and down the best so far …

4F583D34-9463-46E9-8ED6-287E8B226B0F.thumb.jpeg.976d92c9697644bcd5b599c4e9ec8791.jpeg

20F78A59-C04E-4CE5-BB31-E172F1D26555.thumb.jpeg.1b56d334d2ec5e1539c11a8a437a45c4.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viven44 said:

Maybe same in some cases not all, if you browse this 'catalog' you will see applicable parts. It shows the left door has a different part number. Tailgate and right door may be same.

Assuming it is for your 86 Bronco

Door parts

Left door - Manufacturer Part Number742250

Right door - Manufacturer Part Number742-251

Door Windows,Motors & Parts-Broncograveyard.com

Tailgate parts

Manufacturer Part NumberE3AZ-5423394-A,742-251

Ford Bronco Tailgates and Tailgate Parts for Sale - 1983 to 1996 Early Broncos (broncograveyard.com)

Hey, thanks very much! yes, it seems so...So I can order the motors now!

AC075640-5713-4717-90C6-34B4C5F191EA.thumb.jpeg.6855a7f6f66293e37a751c7496f2304d.jpeg

I believe why the old windows are hard to move. Because the inner glass channel rubber hardens over 35+ years and loses compliance puts too much pressure on the glass … I could not move that rubber by hand, when I tried hard it started to break

takes only 1 hr to remove glass and replace, I’m not even a qualified or professional mechanic 👨‍🔧 

This is the one I used, but the other sources where the motors are purchased may have them as well

Amazon.com: Marketplace Auto Parts Inner Tailgate Window Glass Run Channel - 2 Piece - Compatible with 1978-1996 Ford Bronco : Automotive

Edited by viven44

7 minutes ago, ReneH said:

Hey, thanks very much! yes, it seems so...So I can order the motors now!

Just to confirm, are you having problems on the driver and passenger side windows ? 

The replacement of motors will require drilling out rivets (it has been a long time but thats what I remember).

I have not replaced that motor directly. On my previous bronco I just converted from power window to hand crank, I prefer mechanical at least on the driver side for safety🙂 🙂