Bullnose Forums

BlueTop gearbox: Are they worth their price?

Hi together!

as looking for a remanufactured gearbox, Gary told me about Blue Top and what they make different to other remanufactured gear-boxes. So does someone has experiences with Blue Top? Cause only checking the price, they're very expensive to competitors like BBB Industries. If buying one from BBB I'll get the box about $100 less.

I'm driving not very much...less than 9,000 miles per year. No "real" off-road use...so,

the question is, if they are worth their price...especially when taking a look at my useage...

Thanks for your comments!

I'm going to tag John/Machspeed on this because I know he has installed one and REALLY likes it. But I'll let him respond instead of me quoting what he said.

However, Rene, you could search for Bluetop in the forum and you'd find his comments as well as those of others.

I was going that way, following my friends advices, when the manufacturer informed me that they do not ship out of continental US.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

I went with my local NAPA reconditioned one, and I can say that I am really satisfied.

Like you, I am not driving a lot each year, no rough trails neither.

It does the job... for the moment!

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I'm very pleased with my Blue Top steering box and the business itself. I have write-up here on the website about my experience somewhere but to be brief, I sent in my original unit out and got it back within a couple days. Yes, a couple days! Maybe three, actually. I just remember it was quick. When I got the email from them that they were shipping my steering box back, I questioned that it was mine and not one they pulled from their shelves. That was important to me. In that, I called them, and they ensured me what was coming back to me was what I sent out. Upon inspection, it was indeed the unit I sent out and not only dit it look great but it performed great as well. I love my Blue Top steering box!

I'm very pleased with my Blue Top steering box and the business itself. I have write-up here on the website about my experience somewhere but to be brief, I sent in my original unit out and got it back within a couple days. Yes, a couple days! Maybe three, actually. I just remember it was quick. When I got the email from them that they were shipping my steering box back, I questioned that it was mine and not one they pulled from their shelves. That was important to me. In that, I called them, and they ensured me what was coming back to me was what I sent out. Upon inspection, it was indeed the unit I sent out and not only dit it look great but it performed great as well. I love my Blue Top steering box!

I sent my original to Blue Top for a rebuild. Very happy with it. I have a Saginaw pump for it and my Hydroboost.

I sent my original to Blue Top for a rebuild. Very happy with it. I have a Saginaw pump for it and my Hydroboost.

I had a reman put on my Bronco, and it was sloppy. I bought a blue top, installed it and it improved the steering an untold amount. I also have the borg steering shaft that changes the feel of the steering as there is no rag joint. Now I can feel the slop in the rest of the front end. Hopefully getting to that next week.

But, in short, a strong vote from me for blue top.

I had a reman put on my Bronco, and it was sloppy. I bought a blue top, installed it and it improved the steering an untold amount. I also have the borg steering shaft that changes the feel of the steering as there is no rag joint. Now I can feel the slop in the rest of the front end. Hopefully getting to that next week.

But, in short, a strong vote from me for blue top.

Ok, thanks to all. I've ordered one this morning...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Ok, thanks to all. I've ordered one this morning...:nabble_smiley_happy:

I hope you are happy with it.

Like I said, now I have to do the ball joints, control arm bushings and steering links to try and get the rest of the front end tightened up.

It is a domino effect, you fix the weakest link then the next weakest is exposed!

As Gary says, it is like peeling back an onion.. lots of layers...

I hope you are happy with it.

Like I said, now I have to do the ball joints, control arm bushings and steering links to try and get the rest of the front end tightened up.

It is a domino effect, you fix the weakest link then the next weakest is exposed!

As Gary says, it is like peeling back an onion.. lots of layers...

Get the Borgeson steering shaft. No question it's the way to go if you want to reduce play and float.

Get the Borgeson steering shaft. No question it's the way to go if you want to reduce play and float.

For the Borgeson shaft I see there are 2 types, one with a damper and one without. Any thoughts or experience on each?

80-'91 Full Size Ford Truck

Part # 000985

1980-1991 Ford truck heavy duty telescopic steel steering shaft. Connects from factory column to steering box. Extreme duty with billet steel universal joint and vibration reducer upgrade.

80-'91 Full Size Ford Truck

Part # 000980

1980-1991 Ford truck heavy duty telescopic steel steering shaft. Connects from factory column to steering box. Extreme duty with two billet steel universal joints.