Bullnose Forums

Help! My starters are noisy and keep burning out.

Good to know. Thank you. I'll pass that information on to the mechanic.

Do you know if those teeth on the flex plate are indeed supposed to be beveled? If that's the case then my old mechanic definitely didn't put in the right one.

About the starter... You wouldn't happen to know which exact starter I should get? Maybe even a Napa Part number? There seem to be quite a few options, some reasonable, others really expensive.

Now if I do all the repair and the starter is still grinding and super noisy...Is there a possibility that something else is causing that? The engine runs great once it is started and the tranny also seems to be fine. I'm just concerned because the truck had (unbeknownst to me) missing teeth in the flex plate when I bought it.

I really like that truck when it runs. But I thought these F150 are supposed to be ultra reliable. I see the youtube videos where they were found sitting in a field for 20 years or recovered from a flood and still they start up with minimal effort. The way my Truck has been treating me ...I might as well get another Triumph TR4..LOL

Good to know. Thank you. I'll pass that information on to the mechanic.

Do you know if those teeth on the flex plate are indeed supposed to be beveled? If that's the case then my old mechanic definitely didn't put in the right one.

About the starter... You wouldn't happen to know which exact starter I should get? Maybe even a Napa Part number? There seem to be quite a few options, some reasonable, others really expensive.

Now if I do all the repair and the starter is still grinding and super noisy...Is there a possibility that something else is causing that? The engine runs great once it is started and the tranny also seems to be fine. I'm just concerned because the truck had (unbeknownst to me) missing teeth in the flex plate when I bought it.

Just look for a 1994 up 351 automatic, but FWIW, a 1990 Lincoln Town Car starter is a PMGR and fits 300, 302 and 351W with automatic.

If you really want another Ferguson tractor powered car, you will need this:

Rare_Lucas_part.jpg.0388a30af750caeee9890ba4a33a5f21.jpg

Just look for a 1994 up 351 automatic, but FWIW, a 1990 Lincoln Town Car starter is a PMGR and fits 300, 302 and 351W with automatic.

If you really want another Ferguson tractor powered car, you will need this:

Ha! I have to say that the engine of the TR never failed. Everything else around it weekly. But still I think I'm done with Ferguson Tractor cars. I saw a photo of my old TR a while ago . It is still beautiful but i don't miss it.

So far my F150 hasn't treated me any better though. I hope that will change with my new mechanic..

I went to NAPA about the flexplate and the starter. The guy who works there knows his stuff. He has a lot of the part numbers memorized even. His Dad had a Napa Store,so he grew up with that.

He told me that the Lincoln PMGR starters come with 9 teeth and also with 10. Which one should I get?

And this may be a stupid question,Why is it called a Flex Plate. I don't think it flexes or does it?

Ha! I have to say that the engine of the TR never failed. Everything else around it weekly. But still I think I'm done with Ferguson Tractor cars. I saw a photo of my old TR a while ago . It is still beautiful but i don't miss it.

So far my F150 hasn't treated me any better though. I hope that will change with my new mechanic..

I went to NAPA about the flexplate and the starter. The guy who works there knows his stuff. He has a lot of the part numbers memorized even. His Dad had a Napa Store,so he grew up with that.

He told me that the Lincoln PMGR starters come with 9 teeth and also with 10. Which one should I get?

And this may be a stupid question,Why is it called a Flex Plate. I don't think it flexes or does it?

The number I have would be a 3205 (that is a standardized number that NAPA should be able to cross if it isn't their number). My son used to work for a company named Precision Certi-Pro and he was the one who crossed the 1990 Lincoln Town Car one to the 300 and 351W automatic applications.

The torque converter drive plate is called a flax plate as it is flexible compared to a solid steel or iron (even aluminum) flywheel.

The number I have would be a 3205 (that is a standardized number that NAPA should be able to cross if it isn't their number). My son used to work for a company named Precision Certi-Pro and he was the one who crossed the 1990 Lincoln Town Car one to the 300 and 351W automatic applications.

The torque converter drive plate is called a flax plate as it is flexible compared to a solid steel or iron (even aluminum) flywheel.

I just went to NAPA to see what the replacement flex plate they sell acually looks like. It makes sense to me that a bevel would help the starter engage. But the NAPA plate definitely doesn't have a bevel. Are you sure it is supposed to have a bevel? I don't want to pay a shop to install a flex plate that isn't right. I tried to get some additional info from this forum but nobody is responding.

My old mechanic installed a SFI rated plate from Summit racing. I was hoping that would be a good upgrade but Another starter later I have the same problem.This plate does not seem to be flexible.Maybe that is the problem? It sure seems like there are missing teeth again.The new mechanic has not verified that yet. I have an appointment Aug 8th.

Are there flexplates from other newer Fords that might be an upgrade like the PMGR starters?