Bullnose Forums

Help! My starters are noisy and keep burning out.

David/F150Six got over 20 MPG a few times with his F150 and the 5-speed. I think he had 3.00 gears but I don't remember for sure. He said his son's F150 got better than that with something like 2.75 gears and the 5-speed but you couldn't go into fifth in a county with a hill higher than 2'. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I was only kidding about the 20mpg. with my 531 HO I would be happy if I got 10. I have two gas tanks in my truck and I'm not sure if the fuel sensors are working properly. Can you guys tell me what the Fuel capacities are for front and rear?

I was only kidding about the 20mpg. with my 531 HO I would be happy if I got 10. I have two gas tanks in my truck and I'm not sure if the fuel sensors are working properly. Can you guys tell me what the Fuel capacities are for front and rear?

You don't say in your signature anything about your truck so I cannot answer the question. However, you can by looking at the info on the page at Documentation/Fuel & Air Systems/Fuel System Part Numbers/Fuel Tanks.

You don't say in your signature anything about your truck so I cannot answer the question. However, you can by looking at the info on the page at Documentation/Fuel & Air Systems/Fuel System Part Numbers/Fuel Tanks.

Okay I guess I have to go over my settings and enter stuff about my truck. Like the fact that I just found out from one of the members here that it's a 85 and not an 84.

If you have a 300 six and a 5-speed 20 MPG is obtainable. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I manged to get very close to 20 MPG with Lucille a few years ago (I haven't checked in a while) - as long as I kept my foot out of the secondaries. I suspect the steep 0.67 overdrive gear in my AOD played a big part in that.

If you have a 300 six and a 5-speed 20 MPG is obtainable. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I manged to get very close to 20 MPG with Lucille a few years ago (I haven't checked in a while) - as long as I kept my foot out of the secondaries. I suspect the steep 0.67 overdrive gear in my AOD played a big part in that.

Thank you for that info. That means that my fuel sensors are not working properly My front tank sowed it was nearly empty and when I went to fill it up I could only get 8 gallons in.The sensor for the rear tank is probably not much more accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for that info. That means that my fuel sensors are not working properly My front tank sowed it was nearly empty and when I went to fill it up I could only get 8 gallons in.The sensor for the rear tank is probably not much more accurate.

Hi guys,

Last week I took my truck to a new mechanic for a manifold leak. He has many 5 star reviews on Google he is ASE certified master tech. Meeting him and seeing his shop gave me the feeling that my truck might be in better hands with him.

When he started the truck, it made the awful grinding noise and he diagnosed right away that there must be some missing teeth on the flex plate

Now the starter wont't even engage. I used pliers on a pulley to move the flywheel( or is it flex plate?) past the broken teeth. Just like the last time it wants to grab but then it starts spinning freely again. Maybe I'm spinning it in the wrong direction?

But it doesn't even matter, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace the flex plate for the second time.

I have a feeling that my last mechanic installed the wrong one. I'm not going to take the truck back to him. Someone here mentioned the teeth are supposed to be beveled on the side of the starter. The new mechanic confirmed that. Can you guys verify that for me one more time please? Is NAPA a good place to buy a new plate or are there better choices for that? So, new flex plate, new starter, 980.- Ouch!

I asked the new mechanic about the PMGR starters. He says I won't need it. I have no choice. I can't sell the truck broken.But I am pretty frustrated with it.

Hi guys,

Last week I took my truck to a new mechanic for a manifold leak. He has many 5 star reviews on Google he is ASE certified master tech. Meeting him and seeing his shop gave me the feeling that my truck might be in better hands with him.

When he started the truck, it made the awful grinding noise and he diagnosed right away that there must be some missing teeth on the flex plate

Now the starter wont't even engage. I used pliers on a pulley to move the flywheel( or is it flex plate?) past the broken teeth. Just like the last time it wants to grab but then it starts spinning freely again. Maybe I'm spinning it in the wrong direction?

But it doesn't even matter, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace the flex plate for the second time.

I have a feeling that my last mechanic installed the wrong one. I'm not going to take the truck back to him. Someone here mentioned the teeth are supposed to be beveled on the side of the starter. The new mechanic confirmed that. Can you guys verify that for me one more time please? Is NAPA a good place to buy a new plate or are there better choices for that? So, new flex plate, new starter, 980.- Ouch!

I asked the new mechanic about the PMGR starters. He says I won't need it. I have no choice. I can't sell the truck broken.But I am pretty frustrated with it.

A couple of things, NAPA should be good quality, but make sure he gets a 351 flywheel, the 302 and 300 are physically the same, but the balance is different.

Starter, if the starter pinion is chewed up and he wants to replace the starter, insist he use a PMGR starter, cranks better with less current draw. I have had the one on Darth since 2004 and have replaced it once since then.

A couple of things, NAPA should be good quality, but make sure he gets a 351 flywheel, the 302 and 300 are physically the same, but the balance is different.

Starter, if the starter pinion is chewed up and he wants to replace the starter, insist he use a PMGR starter, cranks better with less current draw. I have had the one on Darth since 2004 and have replaced it once since then.

Good to know. Thank you. I'll pass that information on to the mechanic.

Do you know if those teeth on the flex plate are indeed supposed to be beveled? If that's the case then my old mechanic definitely didn't put in the right one.

About the starter... You wouldn't happen to know which exact starter I should get? Maybe even a Napa Part number? There seem to be quite a few options, some reasonable, others really expensive.

Now if I do all the repair and the starter is still grinding and super noisy...Is there a possibility that something else is causing that? The engine runs great once it is started and the tranny also seems to be fine. I'm just concerned because the truck had (unbeknownst to me) missing teeth in the flex plate when I bought it.